How practical is a 1000cc Sportsbike?

1 to 20 of 78 messages
17/05/2007 at 08:23
So, the time has come to get rid of my faithful CBR600F. The simple reason is, its too old to be doing what I require of it (at least, thats my excuse! )

I am looking for a bike which gives me all the same enjoyment, something I can do my small commute on, sunday blasts and a bit of touring to. With my budget of around £3000 I am thinking of going up to a litre sportsbike, but bearing in mind I want to do some light commuting and sports touring, how practical are they? are there some more practical then others? should I steer clear altogther and get something else? (suggestions please).

Looking through the adtrader and other places like that, spending this kind of money on this kind of bike would get me a 1999-2002ish fireblade or something of a simular kind....Any comments from people that own or have owned these bikes would be good.
17/05/2007 at 08:27
If the engine is less stressed, then it's less likely to die on you - hence why 125cc bikes blow up because they're ragged everywhere.

1000cc bikes rarely get ragged to their limits on the roads (provided you cahnge up to 2nd gear every so often)

Unofficial Visordown Relationship Advisor
BSc(Hons) in Reminding People They Are A Whining Pansy

View my Blog here: http://nastyevilninja.wordpress.com

Onboard/helmet cam videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/nastyevilninja?feature=mhw4

17/05/2007 at 08:30
That would depend how you ride the 600....I rode my 600 permanently in the 10000-14000rpm range which is far more fun than riding my blade in the 6000-9000rpm range however my blade has toured all over Europe, it's commuted, it's scared the shit out of me, it's carried a tent and luggage, it's carried a pillion......it's done everything I've asked of it. It did 880miles in a day once and another 500miles the following day with little in the way of aches and pains....the only downside is the reliability of the electrics and it isn't as manic as hooning a 600.

HTH

The pictures used in this signature are copyrighted and NO WAY am I granting free use to TWO of these nor any of my stuff.

Thank you for spoiling Visordown. Bring back the INDEPENDENT vBulletin boards.

17/05/2007 at 08:30
I scratch, commute, trackday, pootle on a gixer 1000. Day in day out. No problem.

You could pick up a minter RRX/RRW blade for that money, although the gixer has a comfier seat.
17/05/2007 at 08:33
After a string of various litre-class bikes (TL-S, Tuono, GSX-R 11 etc) my R1's the most practical of the lot. Way fast enough, reliable, comfy-ish if I have a stretch and a cigarette every fuel stop (and I'm lanky), no problem at all.

I see a boundary. I eat that boundary and wash it down with a steaming hot cup of rules...
Race reports and pics at - www.nakedracingproject.com
Supporting the Greenpeace Esperanza's anti-whaling expedition to the Pacific.
17/05/2007 at 08:35
i've had a Blade, and a couple of R1's

Practical... fuck yeah... they only go as fast as you turn the throttle.
MAC
17/05/2007 at 08:37
ZX9R might be a god choice as they are a bit bigger and have good wether protection if your commuting all year round.

Docca had his W reg one for sale for just over £2k

Are you a man or a mouse?
17/05/2007 at 08:38
It's not that practical though - it struggles to get a dishwasher home from Currys.

The pictures used in this signature are copyrighted and NO WAY am I granting free use to TWO of these nor any of my stuff.

Thank you for spoiling Visordown. Bring back the INDEPENDENT vBulletin boards.

17/05/2007 at 08:42
I'm on my 3rd blade and had no problems with any of them. All day comfortable, will do whatever you want it to - scratch, tour with luggage, commute. Can scare you easily or you can just be lazy and use the torque. crackin' good bikes.
17/05/2007 at 08:44
Gibbo wrote
It's not that practical though - it struggles to get a dishwasher home from Currys.

...had a slight problem with a new telly on mine, but an extra cargo net sorted it.
17/05/2007 at 08:44
I sold my road 600rr and bought a ZX10R, best thing i ever did its as mad as a box of mad things when you want it to be, however, tame enough when you want it to be

Fuelledby1664
Iftheaboveposthasnorelevancetothethreadisgarbledmisspeltorramblingonisderogatoryorabusive
inanywayshapeorformIcannotandwillnotbeheldresponsibleforanyactionspostsorviewspostedwhilstundera1664cloudymist
17/05/2007 at 08:47
You really need to try before you buy either by getting a test ride from a dealer or blagging the lend of the bike of your choice from a mate.

How well a bike fits you will depend on how fit and flexible you are and your physical dimensions. I have put long miles on ZX9R,GSXR1000K3 and ZX10R and they suit me just fine.
17/05/2007 at 09:19
Which is the most "all-round" of the litre-sportsbike, out of interest? By which I mean the most comfortable/practical/etc, rather than the outright fastest or most track orientated.

Of course, it could be one and the same bike, but as they've evolved over the years (say back from ~1998ish) have they become more track-focused a la the sports 600's and if so, which si the pick of the bunch over the last 10 years?!

"You can't come to work drunk, you're not airline pilots...!"

17/05/2007 at 09:24
They're all so good now (and so similar) that I think the biggest considerations for buying are looks, price and availability. As far as performance etc goes, you wouldn't be disappointed with any of them

I see a boundary. I eat that boundary and wash it down with a steaming hot cup of rules...
Race reports and pics at - www.nakedracingproject.com
Supporting the Greenpeace Esperanza's anti-whaling expedition to the Pacific.
17/05/2007 at 09:25
VFR 750, SV1000, Fazer Thou, Blackbird?

Also available in sincere
17/05/2007 at 09:32
I've owned a few blades and have ridden an example of every blade model that's been made. All of them are highly competent at commuting, touring, sunday blasts and track days. The '98 and '99 models (the last carbed blades, at 918cc) were labelled as sports - tourers by the press because they weren't quite as extreme as the first R1s. They are certainly the most physically accomodating, the 2000 and 2001 models (929cc) shrank dimensionally. These were also the first FI'd blades, and honda didn't quite get that right, I've never ridden one that wasn't snatchy getting on the throttle, it's better set up with a can and power commander.

The 2002 and 2003 (954cc) blades are, in my opinion, the best blade for the road, but then I would say that, I've got one. Ballistically fast, sweet handling and stonking brakes. In 2004 the first CBR1000RR appeared, and while it's a better performer all round, the riding position's more extreme and track focussed.

If you're going for a blade, go for the newest one you can find that's in decent nick. Don't be worried about high miles if there's a service history, I know of 929 and 954 blades with 50k+ miles that have been faultless. Find a decent one with 30k on the clock and it'll be a cheap and reliable plaything for years.
17/05/2007 at 09:36
Have a look at a Hayabusa, I have just got mine and I am very very happy with it.

Everytime I get back home I cannot stop grinning, even when the missus is pushing my arms back into their sockets.

:smoke:

17/05/2007 at 09:51
I do 400 miles a week on my RRY FireBlade....a little bit of 2-up touring.

...it suits my needs very, very well......almost too well....it takes the effort out of a lot of riding...

Commuter-guided missile.............:smoke: :burnout:
ThunderCats CB500s free mp3 player EBAY bits
17/05/2007 at 09:56
Ava_Banana wrote
I do 400 miles a week on my RRY FireBlade....a little bit of 2-up touring.

...it suits my needs very, very well......almost too well....it takes the effort out of a lot of riding...

Is the RR-Y the one with the massive headlight? I like them! Any pics?

"You can't come to work drunk, you're not airline pilots...!"

17/05/2007 at 10:15
MAC wrote
ZX9R might be a god choice as they are a bit bigger and have good wether protection if your commuting all year round.

Docca had his W reg one for sale for just over £2k

Thanks for that mate, but i don't anymore. It's going on saturday.

My first sportsbike was a cbr600, and i was way underbiked. Yes i could ride all year and all day round, and what ever other cliche's people wish to offer (when they are just comfroting themselves for spending money.... ) but i'll never regret the move to bigger bikes.

For that budget, you'll get a lot of bike for your cash. I've owned the following in the last twelve months;

Aprilia Falco- You'll pick up a great example for less than £3k. Just about perfect, and WAY under rated. Competant and agile, with comfort and style all in one beautiful package, and the sound is second to none. I loved mine to bits, and would gladly own another.

Aprilia Tuono-Best bike i've ever owned, and am ever likely to own. All day comfort, straight 'mandlebars' and an engine which is lifted directly out of it's faired brother. Quick as fuck, handles and brakes extremely well. I regret selling mine, but after sticking 22k miles on it in 8 months, i had to sell.

ZX9r E1 model.Current bike. Great performing bike. So very very fast, easily sit at 130 mph all day long. Comfortable and you can tour. If i had never owned a twin, i'd keep it. Like most IL4's, it's rather 'uninspiring'.

Next bike (picking up on saturday): TL1000s which has aftermarket everything. I know it will be a step down the comfort ladder, but if i'm moving to Australia i've decided to try all the bikes on my wishlist before i move (when i get there, i'll be getting another Tuono)

I do approximately 40k miles a year, and also scratch and do trackdays. All of the above should cope very well indeed (or at least i'm hoping the TL does).

Only bike i found uncomfortable and just not at all for me was the 'blade, and i've tried a few.

HTH and good luck :x
1 to 20 of 78 messages