How much engine oil in a 2000 R1?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
How much engine oil in a 2000 R1?

GF's dad has just dropped around, left his bike here with oil and a filter and no manual !!

Anyone know? and yes, i know where workshop is but more people viewing here
Sorry for bike related thread..............

Most take around 3-3.5 litres with an oil and filter change. A four litre container usually does with some left for top ups.It'll say on the crankcase anyway.

Skub wrote

It'll say on the crankcase anyway.

What i thought but no ?

3.8 liters IIRC.runs off to check.:burnout:EDIT:Total 3.6LWith filter change 2.7LWithout filter charge 2.9L

spliffyaid wrote

What i thought but no ?

Just fire it in until the right level appears on the window or dipstick.

Did a change (filter and oil) on the track bike a few weeks back (99 R1)Took just over 3 litres....but not 3 1/2 before it was by the top mark in the window

Muzzychuck (not verified)

Skub wrote

Just fire it in until the right level appears on the window or dipstick.

S'what I was gonna say, you dipstick.Just make sure it's standing upright, innit.

KneeDragonR1 wrote

3.8 liters IIRC.runs off to check.:burnout:EDIT:Total 3.6LWith filter change 2.7LWithout filter charge 2.9L

It'll need more oil with a filter change than without.... This is making an easy thing hard.

Well ive just stuck 3 litres in it ?!?!it is with an oil filter change, so 3.6, 2.7 or 2.9? Not taking the piss, appreciate the help

Skub wrote

It'll need more oil with a filter change than without.... This is making an easy thing hard.

Strike that, reverse it.-Wonka

so should i drop .10 of a litre or will it just blow it out?

spliffyaid wrote

What's on the level indicator,is it dipstick or window?

Feckin gallons of the stuff with that exhaust on it...!!!!

spliffyaid wrote

Japanese engineer make a joke. I always added the full 3 liters and figured there was .1L remaining in the bottles.It is fine

KneeDragonR1 wrote

Japanese engineer make a joke. I always added the full 3 liters and figured there was .1L remaining in the bottles.It is fine

Is there no way of visibly checking the oil level on the bike,KD?

Mr Haynes, my handbook and the service manual all confirm 2.9l with a filter change or 3.6l for a rebuild / dry engine

Skub wrote

Is there no way of visibly checking the oil level on the bike,KD?

The sight widow.

KneeDragonR1 wrote

The sight widow.

I wonder does spliffyaid know.

Sorry been in me garage all sorted know guys Thanks for the help And dicky, you aint kidding, fecking shite thing eh LOL

Follow Visordown

Latest News

Latest Features

Latest Bike Reviews

Crash Media Group
Visordown is part of the CMG Full Throttle Network© : welcoming over 3 million consumers each month