how long does a police caution last?

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
how long does a police caution last?

had a caution from the polce this year for common assault, just wondering how long it last before it taken off my record.

I'd guess a tad less longer than an Uncommon assault caution.... HTH.

muffy wrote

had a caution from the polce this year for common assault, just wondering how long it last before it taken off my record.

neveryou'll always be a criminalhappy christmas

jif wrote

yep and now your DNA will be checked after every reported crime!!you are going down!!!

If I was on the Sex Offenders Register I'd keep it to myself and not start threads about it on the internet. Children could be watching.

jif wrote

Pure Eville.

pistonbroke wrote

yep and now your DNA will be checked after every reported crime!!you are going down!!!

No he won't. He got a caution, so he doesn't have to play "daddies n daddies" with the big bloke called Shirley after lights out.5 Years from the date of cautioning, then it will drop off, but you will still have a CRO number.

pistonbroke wrote

Bubba's waiting for ya

Is this 'I'm trying to look hard on the Internet'?

The anomily is ... a caution lasts longer on your record than a conviction. A conviction will be 'spent' after a given number of years. A Caution is n't!Usually the question is "Have you any criminal convictions" in which case you can honestly answer no after the Rehabilitation of offenders period has expired. However, if ever asked do you have any convictions or cautions then when ever, you must answer 'yes'.I advised all my Youth customers not to accept a caution when offered - take the conviction, That goes off your record quicker. SOD aint it!Ian G

jif wrote

True.I was cautioned after breaking a window back in the early 90s . Had parked up after running out of gas, off road near the drive of this rather nice posh house. On returning the RX was on its side. Anger & frustration being vented by chucking gravel at the porch - assuming wrongly the occupants had some hand in knocking the bike over - breaking a side window. Subsequently picked up while attempting to refuel. Although I later returned and apologised personally, and paid for a replacement window, the caution was mentioned [on file] just two or so years ago when I last had occasion to stand before the desk sergeant. Its on there for life, I think.... and y'know points [for speeding] are effective for 3yrs and removeable after 4 or something, well, the magistrates will have a copy supplied to them from the DVLA showing all and any passed misdemeanors. So for all intents and purposes, your record stays with you for life.

tenbears wrote

True.I was cautioned after breaking a window back in the early 90s . Had parked up after running out of gas, off road near the drive of this rather nice posh house. On returning the RX was on its side. Anger & frustration being vented by chucking gravel at the porch - assuming wrongly the occupants had some hand in knocking the bike over - breaking a side window. Subsequently picked up while attempting to refuel. Although I later returned and apologised personally, and paid for a replacement window, the caution was mentioned [on file] just two or so years ago when I last had occasion to stand before the desk sergeant. Its on there for life, I think.... and y'know points [for speeding] are effective for 3yrs and removeable after 4 or something, well, the magistrates will have a copy supplied to them from the DVLA showing all and any passed misdemeanors. So for all intents and purposes, your record stays with you for life.

Aye, I have stuff from the early 70s which is still dredged up.

I disagree that a caution lasts longer than a conviction. There is a straightforward explanation here. www.lawontheweb.co.uk/rehabact.htm

Skub wrote

Aye, I have stuff from the early 70s which is still dredged up.

Bigjawa wrote

Delete,delete,delete....

You advise your youth clients to not accept a caution (or as it goes, Reprimand, Final Warning then caution) in lieu of a charge (which, due to them being eligible for a caution and therefore accepting guilt) will be conviction? I was under the impression a youth caution/Reprimand/FW is expunged on turning 18?

NyseriA wrote

You advise your youth clients to not accept a caution (or as it goes, Reprimand, Final Warning then caution) in lieu of a charge (which, due to them being eligible for a caution and therefore accepting guilt) will be conviction? I was under the impression a youth caution/Reprimand/FW is expunged on turning 18?

me too

Bigjawa wrote

God bless Roy Orbison

I get old convictions coming up too - last one nearly 25 years ago now!

trogladyte wrote

I get old convictions coming up too - last one nearly 25 years ago now!

If you commit new offences, then the old ones wont drop off under rehabilitation of offenders... you need to have a clear run of (X depending on the offence and penalty)years without offending before they become spent.. they dont work the same as endorsements on your licecne which expire regardless of your offending history

NyseriA wrote

5 years...or until they reach 18 whichever is the longest....so a 17 yr old gets to keep his til hes 23 .. a 10 year old gets to keep his til hes 18 Adult cautions technically never expire.. but they get ignored by the courts the same way as if he had an absolute discharge/ commmunity penalty...Only a crap lawyer would advise a guilty client against taking one in lieu of a conviction

I was going to say, I'd (metaphorically) punch a brief that kept advising their clients to make me do expedited files

NyseriA wrote

Mine was

NyseriA wrote

Mine was Although it still shows up on a general registry search at NSY.

fatboyjim wrote

Pure Eville.No he won't. He got a caution, so he doesn't have to play "daddies n daddies" with the big bloke called Shirley after lights out.5 Years from the date of cautioning, then it will drop off, but you will still have a CRO number.

the caution may drop of, but the DNA is there for life - once cautioned always a suspect.Just hope the next terrorist doesn't get his 'DNA bomb' material from the public transport you have been on!

pistonbroke wrote

the caution may drop of, but the DNA is there for life - once cautioned always a suspect.Just hope the next terrorist doesn't get his 'DNA bomb' material from the public transport you have been on!

Mine's on there too.

fatboyjim wrote

Mine's on there too.

hey ho maybe you and muffy will get to share :smoke:

WTF is a DNA bomb?Edit: Found out what it is. I'm not that important to worry about being targeted.

fatboyjim wrote

WTF is a DNA bomb?Edit: Found out what it is. I'm not that important to worry about being targeted.

Actually i was using the term DNA bomb to denote the pollution of a crime scene with random DNA evidence or material.

Dont do the crime, if you cant do the time Light weight

nto wrote

Light weight

Lightweight?

Is common assault done on council estates?

trogggy wrote

Lightweight?

Just trying to have myself a bit of fun while im all lonely Liteweight

nto wrote

Just trying to have myself a bit of fun while im all lonely

And typing with your spare hand? That would explain it.

trogggy wrote

That makes this post a sticky.

trogggy wrote

Did a quick Google and found this: "Records containing cautions8. If there are cautions but no convictions on the record and no further cautions have been recorded for a period of five years, the record will be deleted, except where the caution is accompanied by an 'offends against vulnerable person' information marker."Full text:www.acpo.police.uk/asp/policies/Data/weeding_rules_version5_nov_2000.docIf this is still current, it would suggest that if you're clean apart from the caution then they forget about it after 5 years.

Follow Visordown

Top News

Crash Media Group
Visordown is part of the CMG Full Throttle Network© : welcoming over 3 million consumers each month