Honda pulls plug on US bike production

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Honda pulls plug on US bike production

"Unefficient Ohio plant to close next year"????

TWO/VD now inventing new words?

Oooops! My mistake

There's a job waiting for you on The Grauniad.

orangesocks (not verified)

Iwishiknewwhatyouwereonabout

Inefficient? How? Poor North American sales or an unproductive workforce?

the yanks cant build anything that will last more than a few months, everything is made to break,look at what clarkson says about thier carslook at the space shuttle they only made 7 and two of those fell to bits

as-i-said wrote (see)

look at the space shuttle they only made 7 and two of those fell to bits

Yeh, but on the bright side the Challenger still holds the record as the world's biggest firework.

This is exactley what the Japanese are about, they still have an industry because they buy there own goods, just like the germans have a bike and car industry as do the french.  They closed it probably because of market conditions, and transfered the work to their own people.Remember people you want an industry and Jobs you buy from your own people, think Triumph next time you go to the dealers for a bike and keep the lads in Hinkley in work and not some Jap.

I went round the Harley factory in Pennsylvania two weeks ago on a tour. I was there on business and thought that I take a look. It was a very good tour. Tour guide kept on about American made, American steel and American parts. Lots of "Yeahs" and "Right ons" from the rest of the bearded tour group. However he was standing in front of a huge pile of boxes with Brembo on at the time. I knew there was a reason we weren't allowed cameras.

as-i-said wrote (see)

the yanks cant build anything that will last more than a few months, everything is made to break,look at what clarkson says about thier carslook at the space shuttle they only made 7 and two of those fell to bits

Yes but one of them would of been ok if they hadn't let the WOMAN have a drivethats gonna upset the wenchesooops! and that

German engineering + Japanese parts = American space technology

T509Speedy wrote (see)

This is exactley what the Japanese are about, they still have an industry because they buy there own goods, just like the germans have a bike and car industry as do the french.  They closed it probably because of market conditions, and transfered the work to their own people.Remember people you want an industry and Jobs you buy from your own people, think Triumph next time you go to the dealers for a bike and keep the lads in Hinkley in work and not some Jap.

Hallelujah brother!Top sermon.

bmwonder wrote (see)

I went round the Harley factory in Pennsylvania two weeks ago on a tour. I was there on business and thought that I take a look. It was a very good tour. Tour guide kept on about American made, American steel and American parts. Lots of "Yeahs" and "Right ons" from the rest of the bearded tour group. However he was standing in front of a huge pile of boxes with Brembo on at the time. I knew there was a reason we weren't allowed cameras.

Of course manufacturers share parts always have and always will, thinking a motorcycle or car is the total work of one manufacturer is stupid, if a manufacturer produced entirely their own parts then this would drive up the cost out of the reach of Joe average.However, buying from Harley will insure that the bulk of the work and the money goes into keeping Americans in work, as with buying a Triumph will keep the boys and girls in Hinckley England in work.

T509Speedy wrote (see)

Remember people you want an industry and Jobs you buy from your own people, think Triumph next time you go to the dealers for a bike and keep the lads in Hinkley in work and not some Jap.

Im gonna have a test ride on a Daytonna 955i next week, do you think I will want one after ?

Never rode one, but I have a Speed triple, which uses the same triple engine as the Daytona ( with a few little changes ), if the speed triple is anything to by the Daytona should be pretty good, I have never heard many complaints from owners, as for top speed etc compared to other bikes in same category, how fast do you want to lose your licence?. 

I love the look of the speed triple.......mmmmmmmm might try one of those as well.

Much as I love to buy British and hate the thought of people being put out of work you have to admit that the best thing that ever happened to the British car and bike consumer was the Japanese. They completely decimated our car and bike industry because their stuff was simply much better than ours. Triumph have finally realised that the way to suceed is to make fantastic, reliable bikes at a cost that can compete. Triumph will be on my shortlist when it comes to buying my next bike, but only because it's a great bike and not just because it built by some smiling brummie. I will support Triumph so long as they continue to make great bikes.If we are talking about UK jobs, how many people are employed in this country by Honda, Nissan, Toyota?

T509Speedy wrote (see)

The best way to kill your own industry in the long term is protectionism. Yes, by all means, buy now, let your own industry pay later.Mollycoddling is hardly the right preparation for competition...

Splat wrote (see)

The best way to kill your own industry in the long term is protectionism. Yes, by all means, buy now, let your own industry pay later.Mollycoddling is hardly the right preparation for competition...

It's hardly protectionism; that's when the state imposes restrictions, such as quotas or higher import duties (such as the US government did to protect HD) on foreign competition.German and French cars sell well all over Europe. BMW and Mercedes sell very well in north America. Why? Because they're good cars. If they were overpriced heaps of crap like the offerings of Leyland and Rover and we still bought them, then you could talk of "protectionism" but we didn't and Leyland and Rover went bust as a result.Buying a good product is not protectionism. It's good sense.

bmwonder wrote (see)

German engineering + Japanese parts = American space technology

Abel wrote (see)

T509Speedy wrote (see)

Hallelujah brother!Top sermon.

Agreed

bmwonder wrote (see)

Much as I love to buy British and hate the thought of people being put out of work you have to admit that the best thing that ever happened to the British car and bike consumer was the Japanese. They completely decimated our car and bike industry because their stuff was simply much better than ours. Triumph have finally realised that the way to suceed is to make fantastic, reliable bikes at a cost that can compete. Triumph will be on my shortlist when it comes to buying my next bike, but only because it's a great bike and not just because it built by some smiling brummie. I will support Triumph so long as they continue to make great bikes.If we are talking about UK jobs, how many people are employed in this country by Honda, Nissan, Toyota?

The bike and the car industry are two totally different kettles of fish when it comes to downfall, so let's concentrate on the bike industry.  Where most of the British bike manufacturers went wrong was to play it safe, which is something Harley has successfully pulled off for many years.  The Japanese cannot invent, they simply get something and improve on it, this significant when you look on WHY the British industry died, it wasn't that they didn't have the technology to blow the Japs away, it was because they were not prepared to take risks, this allowed the Japanese to get a foothold and under sell on basically was their equivalent, The British public being the greedy shit head's they are, saved money by buying Japanese but ultimately destroyed their own bike industry.Now we have a bike manufacturer who is prepared to take risks and build some great bikes, so go and buy them and keep OUR lads and lasses in work and allow them more money to make even better products, after all the owner of Triumph isnt in it just for the money his already rich.Maybe if we bought enough Triumphs they may be forced to open another factory?, maybe if they were successful enough they would restart their car business?, now that would be something wouldnt it?.All the Japanese manufacturers would pull out of Britain in a heart beat if it served their purpose, that's how they are, they aren't in it because they love English tea.

Splat wrote (see)
T509Speedy wrote (see)

Utter tripe, read above.

Totally agree with T509Speedy, if we were to buy more Triumphs then maybe they could be persuaded to make a proper super bike (1050cc perhaps) and then compete at WSB level . Now for that thought alone my next bike WILL BE a TRIUMPH

They did enter WSB and if my memory serves me well they didnt do too badly either, but not good enough to stay in and pulled out to concentrate on making bikes, I'm pretty sure they will eventually go back to WSB.

COME ON CHAPP/eSS'S  buy a Triumph and let a british company be TRIUMPHant !do you see what I did there?

As your on your high horses about buying British, why is it the price of a Triumph is cheaper abroad???.............. Bloody hell! they make them here, not over there.

I would of thought with a name like Gordon (as in that tit Brown) you would realise WE have a little thing called MASSIVE FECKIN TAX!!

Gordon T wrote (see)

As your on your high horses about buying British, why is it the price of a Triumph is cheaper abroad???.............. Bloody hell! they make them here, not over there.

Its not just Triumph we have had this with car manufacturers as well, isnt as simple a case of a manufacturer selling for more because they can.I work in the vehicle industry and I know at one time it was cheaper to make a vehicle here, ship it abroad and then bring it back in, than simply registering here.

T509Speedy wrote (see)

They did enter WSB and if my memory serves me well they didnt do too badly either, but not good enough to stay in and pulled out to concentrate on making bikes, I'm pretty sure they will eventually go back to WSB.

Take it you don't watch World Supersport (support races for WSB)?There are 3 Triumph 675s running in that. 

Bugar Di Fino wrote (see)

T509Speedy wrote (see)

Take it you don't watch World Supersport (support races for WSB)?There are 3 Triumph 675s running in that. 

we are on about WSB level with a 1050cc engine, Feck dont you read all the tread so as to know what you're on about

I haven't watched or gone super bikes or moto GP for a long long time and don't follow it or watch it anymore.The last time I went to or watched a race was when whitham crashed and stood behind the tyre wall smoking like something out of a hamlet advert, this was at Brands hatch, me and my mate was right behind him, he WAS leading, cant remember if it was the first or second race.

LENSKINED wrote (see)

Bugar Di Fino wrote (see)
T509Speedy wrote (see)

we are on about WSB level with a 1050cc engine, Feck dont you read all the tread so as to know what you're on about

You mean like people who talk about 1050cc engines competing in a championship where the limit is 1000cc for IL4s?

...the same championship that now has a 1200cc limit for twins, so what is the limit for a 3 cylinder bike ?.I don't know either tbh, but I'd be surprised if Triumph entered WSB at all.Why ?, because they've realised long ago that they can't compete with the Japs in the 'megasports' category so they've carved their own niche with their 3 cylinder bike. Where is the 1000cc megasports bike in Triumphs range ? .... there isn't one. They have the Speed triple and the Sprint ST, both with the 1050 engine, but nothing to compete with the R1/Fireblade/gsxr1k etc. as that's not a market Triumph are in, so they won't be in WSB anytime soon.The reason they're in WSS is that the 675 does compete head on with the Jap 600's for sales to the likes of you and me, but the 1050 Triumphs are not in the same market as the 1 litre inline 4's from the Japanese.

Actually like I said they were in WSB's previously and doing well, but pulled out to focus on bike production, who knows if they had carried on where they would have got, unless of course the Japs spit their dummies out and threaten to leave when it doesn't go their way.

T509Speedy wrote (see)

Actually like I said they were in WSB's previously and doing well, but pulled out to focus on bike production, who knows if they had carried on where they would have got, unless of course the Japs spit their dummies out and threaten to leave when it doesn't go their way.

Well yeah they pulled out because they realised they were going nowhere! ... which year was this anyway ?The 3 cyl Triumphs are in a different market to the Jap IL/4's, so don't compete with the R1's/blades/Gsxr's etc. which is one reason why Triumph won't be in WSB anytime soon.

Actually they pulled out due to costs.  If ducati can compete and hand the Japs their asses to them on a plate then I'm sure Triumph with 3 cylinders could if they put their minds and wallets to it.

Yes the Japs gained a foothold by nicking already existing technology for themselves and building on somebody else's development.Suzuki only became competitive in 2 stroke GPs by nicking the MZ technology after they culled one of the east German team's riders Walter Kaaden who spilt the beans and allowed Japan to then dominate GPs. Until then Jap bikes were completely uncompetitive and strangely enough MZ was the force to be reckoned with for their 2 stroke genius.I like some of the new Triumphs but to be honest I think the way they try to trade on the past with silly replicas of Bonnevilles, 'Thunderbirds' etc is a bit naff, if anything the Bonneville name should have been used on a top of the range sports machine (which is what the Bonneville effectively was) rather than just a retro copy that has none of the appeal of the original instead just selling on nostalgia and 'image.' T509Speedy wrote (see)

The bike and the car industry are two totally different kettles of fish when it comes to downfall, so let's concentrate on the bike industry.  Where most of the British bike manufacturers went wrong was to play it safe, which is something Harley has successfully pulled off for many years.  The Japanese cannot invent, they simply get something and improve on it, this significant when you look on WHY the British industry died, it wasn't that they didn't have the technology to blow the Japs away, it was because they were not prepared to take risks, this allowed the Japanese to get a foothold and under sell on basically was their equivalent, The British public being the greedy shit head's they are, saved money by buying Japanese but ultimately destroyed their own bike industry.Now we have a bike manufacturer who is prepared to take risks and build some great bikes, so go and buy them and keep OUR lads and lasses in work and allow them more money to make even better products, after all the owner of Triumph isnt in it just for the money his already rich.Maybe if we bought enough Triumphs they may be forced to open another factory?, maybe if they were successful enough they would restart their car business?, now that would be something wouldnt it?.All the Japanese manufacturers would pull out of Britain in a heart beat if it served their purpose, that's how they are, they aren't in it because they love English tea.
Splat wrote (see)
T509Speedy wrote (see)

Utter tripe, read above.

Follow Visordown

Latest Bike News

Crash Media Group
Visordown is part of the CMG Full Throttle Network© : welcoming over 3 million consumers each month