Honda pulls plug on US bike production

1 to 20 of 36 messages
28/02/2008 at 14:58

"Unefficient Ohio plant to close next year"????

TWO/VD now inventing new words?

28/02/2008 at 15:07
Oooops! My mistake
28/02/2008 at 15:15

There's a job waiting for you on The Grauniad.

28/02/2008 at 15:17
Iwishiknewwhatyouwereonabout
28/02/2008 at 15:22
Inefficient? How? Poor North American sales or an unproductive workforce?
28/02/2008 at 15:39

the yanks cant build anything that will last more than a few months, everything is made to break,look at what clarkson says about thier cars

look at the space shuttle they only made 7 and two of those fell to bits

Have you filled your GARAGE in yet?
Edited: 28/02/2008 at 15:40
28/02/2008 at 16:01
as-i-said wrote (see)

Yeh, but on the bright side the Challenger still holds the record as the world's biggest firework.
28/02/2008 at 16:14

This is exactley what the Japanese are about, they still have an industry because they buy there own goods, just like the germans have a bike and car industry as do the french.  They closed it probably because of market conditions, and transfered the work to their own people.

Remember people you want an industry and Jobs you buy from your own people, think Triumph next time you go to the dealers for a bike and keep the lads in Hinkley in work and not some Jap.

28/02/2008 at 16:34
I went round the Harley factory in Pennsylvania two weeks ago on a tour. I was there on business and thought that I take a look. It was a very good tour. Tour guide kept on about American made, American steel and American parts. Lots of "Yeahs" and "Right ons" from the rest of the bearded tour group. However he was standing in front of a huge pile of boxes with Brembo on at the time. I knew there was a reason we weren't allowed cameras.

CBR929 RRY, BMW R1200RT, Aprilia Sport City 300

len
28/02/2008 at 17:20
as-i-said wrote (see)

the yanks cant build anything that will last more than a few months, everything is made to break,look at what clarkson says about thier cars

Yes but one of them would of been ok if they hadn't let the WOMAN have a drive

thats gonna upset the wenches

ooops! and that

http://www.visordown.com/members/images/172285/Gallery/car_sticker__93721_thumb.jpg
28/02/2008 at 17:51
German engineering + Japanese parts = American space technology

28/02/2008 at 17:58
T509Speedy wrote (see)

This is exactley what the Japanese are about, they still have an industry because they buy there own goods, just like the germans have a bike and car industry as do the french.  They closed it probably because of market conditions, and transfered the work to their own people.

Remember people you want an industry and Jobs you buy from your own people, think Triumph next time you go to the dealers for a bike and keep the lads in Hinkley in work and not some Jap.

Hallelujah brother!

Top sermon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Abelrider/Newsig.gif

28/02/2008 at 18:50
bmwonder wrote (see)
I went round the Harley factory in Pennsylvania two weeks ago on a tour. I was there on business and thought that I take a look. It was a very good tour. Tour guide kept on about American made, American steel and American parts. Lots of "Yeahs" and "Right ons" from the rest of the bearded tour group. However he was standing in front of a huge pile of boxes with Brembo on at the time. I knew there was a reason we weren't allowed cameras.

Of course manufacturers share parts always have and always will, thinking a motorcycle or car is the total work of one manufacturer is stupid, if a manufacturer produced entirely their own parts then this would drive up the cost out of the reach of Joe average.

However, buying from Harley will insure that the bulk of the work and the money goes into keeping Americans in work, as with buying a Triumph will keep the boys and girls in Hinckley England in work.

len
28/02/2008 at 18:54
T509Speedy wrote (see)

Im gonna have a test ride on a Daytonna 955i next week, do you think I will want one after ?

http://www.visordown.com/members/images/172285/Gallery/car_sticker__93721_thumb.jpg
28/02/2008 at 18:59
Never rode one, but I have a Speed triple, which uses the same triple engine as the Daytona ( with a few little changes ), if the speed triple is anything to by the Daytona should be pretty good, I have never heard many complaints from owners, as for top speed etc compared to other bikes in same category, how fast do you want to lose your licence?. 

len
28/02/2008 at 19:02
I love the look of the speed triple.......mmmmmmmm might try one of those as well.

29/02/2008 at 10:05

Much as I love to buy British and hate the thought of people being put out of work you have to admit that the best thing that ever happened to the British car and bike consumer was the Japanese. They completely decimated our car and bike industry because their stuff was simply much better than ours. Triumph have finally realised that the way to suceed is to make fantastic, reliable bikes at a cost that can compete. Triumph will be on my shortlist when it comes to buying my next bike, but only because it's a great bike and not just because it built by some smiling brummie. I will support Triumph so long as they continue to make great bikes.

If we are talking about UK jobs, how many people are employed in this country by Honda, Nissan, Toyota?

29/02/2008 at 14:26
T509Speedy wrote (see)

The best way to kill your own industry in the long term is protectionism. Yes, by all means, buy now, let your own industry pay later.

Mollycoddling is hardly the right preparation for competition...

29/02/2008 at 15:38
Splat wrote (see)

The best way to kill your own industry in the long term is protectionism. Yes, by all means, buy now, let your own industry pay later.

Mollycoddling is hardly the right preparation for competition...

It's hardly protectionism; that's when the state imposes restrictions, such as quotas or higher import duties (such as the US government did to protect HD) on foreign competition.

German and French cars sell well all over Europe. BMW and Mercedes sell very well in north America. Why? Because they're good cars. If they were overpriced heaps of crap like the offerings of Leyland and Rover and we still bought them, then you could talk of "protectionism" but we didn't and Leyland and Rover went bust as a result.

Buying a good product is not protectionism. It's good sense.

29/02/2008 at 16:25
bmwonder wrote (see)
German engineering + Japanese parts = American space technology
Abel wrote (see)
T509Speedy wrote (see)

Hallelujah brother!

Top sermon.

Agreed

1 to 20 of 36 messages