Hayabusas and ZZR1400's can't corner

or can they?

20 messages
25/06/2010 at 03:43
Well I'm now 18,700 miles under my belt on my Busa.... I recall 4 years ago being told right here on this forum I'd kill myself, tear off chains and sprockets, shred tyres... and of course the old chestnut - Busas don't handle - said by many riders who basically never had the bottle or acquired skill to actually tame a hyper sports bike.

Hyper bikes don't handle? Here's a ZZR 1400 turning on a pin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EchPDfdUmGs&feature=related
Well. The original factory chain and sprockets were replaced at 18,500 miles - not because they were worn out - but to fit longer renthal gearing to push the 200 mph and just to be sure with the chain. Isn't it amazing what chain drive lube can do.

4 sets of tyres if we include those it left the factory with (would have only been 3 sets had it not been for the punctures)

WOT throttle to redline in every gear many many times with the limiter removed in all gears. Never flipped up. Amazing what leaning forward and controlling the bike achieves. Been off the clocks on runways through 180mph+ timing traps, autobahns and of course never in the UK on public roads The highlight was riding from the Alps to the sea and all down the Italian/French/Spanish Riviera. The 1200 mile in 24hrs dash back to UK soil was staggering too.

I'm really glad I bought this bike.

To anyone considering buying a hyper bike - remember - don't listen to the girls who try and tell you why not to be brave whilst their period seeps into their knickers... just go and fucking do it.

Edited: 25/06/2010 at 03:45
25/06/2010 at 09:32

mate got one ,scared the shit out himself every time he went out.

now its been in his shed for 1and a half yrs.

excellent

25/06/2010 at 09:54

that is some great footage, just shows what a decent rider can do, and am glad you're enjoying the 'Busa.

My mate got one, mainly as he's 6'6" and 18 stone and it was the thing that fit him best, he handles it well though. Not as good as the dude in that clip, like, but he rides it well. I had a go and enjoyed it, not as flickable as my Tuono but it went where I wanted. And the accelaraton . . . . .  . .     .  my god the acceleration

Have a mint. They're free
25/06/2010 at 11:05

Ridden my mates Bussa and liked it, only the cramped leg position was a downer.

Personally think its pig ugly but that just me.

However, 18k on 3 sets of tyres.....sorry that just dont go with how you say you ride it...

Never had more than 3k from a rear on numerous bikes and tyre combinations, Blade, GSXR, 955i or TL (that bugger used to rip the rear to bits)

Agree with your assertion not to listen to bullshit form others though....

25/06/2010 at 13:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7fVF53He1k&feature=PlayList&p=9956A7CD01C00C92&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PERJTHu1Od0&feature=related

Does that mean you think large Harleys handle well too?

And I have to agree, to wear out only 3 sets of tires in 18.5k you must ride like a fanny .

If the Earth is the size of a pea in Britain, then the Sun is a beachball 50m away, Pluto is 4km away, and the next nearest star is in Tokyo. Now shrink Pluto's orbit into a coffee cup, then our Milky Way Galaxy fills North America

Edited: 25/06/2010 at 13:08
25/06/2010 at 13:47

apparently

6k miles out of a rear??????????? on a Busa?????????????????????????

25/06/2010 at 17:49
To top it all off, they cost you your bum cherry for a service .

If the Earth is the size of a pea in Britain, then the Sun is a beachball 50m away, Pluto is 4km away, and the next nearest star is in Tokyo. Now shrink Pluto's orbit into a coffee cup, then our Milky Way Galaxy fills North America

27/06/2010 at 06:51

Cant understand why you would listen to a forum before choosing your bike. Personally, I cant see what the fuss is about.

Its not really about the bike is it?

9/10 I kick butt on my TL1000S, but I dont think anyone here is going to say its the best bike in the world...except me at any rate.

27/06/2010 at 07:05
Can anyone else smell it ?????????
27/06/2010 at 21:39

My K1200GT does that type of tyre mileage and I do most of it two up pottering about with the wife on the back.

16/07/2010 at 01:27
yawn. ok so maybe it was 5 sets, but would have been 4 if nor for punctures.

1st set of tyres BT 56 lasted 5K. I commuted 45 miles each way on the dual carriage way and rode at weekends. So most of this mileage is commuting.

2nd set lasted til 8.5K as I comuuted on a RRV blade instead, so more weekend riding - BT56 right to the white fabric strips which meant I missed the Isle of Skye leg of a Scottish trip with mates to get a replacement.

3rd set I ended up settling with a (I think) BT014 on the rear as I was touring Scotland at the time and they didn't have a BT56.

This tyre actually lasted longer than the BT56, it had a more severe racing profile and the bike handled better. This wasn't changed until 15K miles and was flattened right off in Europe riding to Augsburg via Czech Rep.

4th set, @ 15K back to BT56 fitted in Augsburg whilst the bike was serviced at Suzuki dealer.

Punctures in Cornwall at 18K ish, tyres had 1K miles left in them.

Still on 5th set. Now at 19800 miles.

17/07/2010 at 18:25

Sorry but I simply do not believe that you are riding it in the way you suggest.

To get that sort of mileage out of a chain and sprocket set and tyre's you must be riding it like an old Granny.

I think the one spouting the bravado and bull shit is you.

I had a Busa when they first came out, and had to sell it because I was wearing through rear tyres every 2,500 miles and fronts soon after.

You're full of crap I'm afraid.

17/07/2010 at 22:18
they steer but with hose big tourers they have enough power which helps rear wheel steering so accelerte through the corners and you'll a) achieve silly speeds, b) steer quicker, c) commit hari cari into a cage lol.

Go To The Dan Cannell Racing Website

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/pakratt1991/haha.gif

Good men do finish last....

"Food makes people fat - look at the people in the concentration camps... they went in fat but they weren't fat when they left.  It's simple innit."

17/07/2010 at 23:05

If you can get 3k out of a busa then your still taking your time .. ripped mine to bits in just less than 2k .... nie on the same on a gsxr1000 street ....My busa was a street style and steered well...I never had a problem keeping up with other bikes and I have had more scares on my fazer 1000 than the busa handling wise 

seriously thinking of going down the supermoto route as a cost saver .... might save my licence too ... or even a lowly cb500 they seem to tool on in the twisties and given  the right gear change can be a fun bike 

Who Cares Wins
Edited: 17/07/2010 at 23:10
19/07/2010 at 14:47
Paulus fuck off you fucking juvenile plebian cunt

(if you ever had one) You had your Busa 5 minutes and had to sell it because you're rode it like an arsehole, you're a pussy and probably have a job a woman can do. No doubt you're a weekend warrior knob.

You miss my point because you're a cunt. You were too hard on your Busa and couldn't afford to run one..... I'm saying no such thing. I'm saying it's just a normal motorbike, and I'm saying the hype is bullshit. I'm saying ride it properly, treat it well, tour on it, commute on it, take it for some fast days out and it'll do it all.

The power is there if you need it, doesn't mean you have to go everywhere at 11K rpm.

When did I say I rode it around like it was stolen trying to
break it and trying to rip components apart? Why would I do that?

Touring Scottoiler under seat since it was new.

I'm not even gonna rise to the shite. You have no experience of clocking up 20K miles on a busa, paid for, owned, serviced and maintained from new for 4 years.

I didn't scream past the Maccy D car park like you shredding tyres - I rode my bike properly. which is why I still have it.

Blah blah blah
Edited: 19/07/2010 at 15:04
20/07/2010 at 14:34

I can't see a problem with the claims.

They reckoned on 10,000 miles from a rear Pirelli Angel ST - proven in their endurance testing thingy and now stamped into the side of every tyre.

So real-world hooning it should easily give half that.

Unofficial Visordown Relationship Advisor
BSc(Hons) in Reminding People They Are A Whining Pansy

View my Blog here: http://nastyevilninja.wordpress.com

Onboard/helmet cam videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/nastyevilninja?feature=mhw4

21/07/2010 at 00:54
Tynediver - the 990 SMT is maybe up your street? A lot of bike deserves a lot of respect.

Maybe you need a SV650 and learn how to back off the throttle

2K from a tyre? when were you riding it? just at weekends, letting rip? I don't do that. I used it to tour, that's what it is, a hypertourer, and quite a spot of commuting, mixed with some weekend and midweek blasts. I don't have one riding style - flat out like a twat everywhere. I have respect for my machines.

Why is this not making any sense?

I'll say it again - the Busa is a good allrounder, the hype image of it needing to go everywhere ripping off sprockets is bullshit, bravado and shows no control over the machine. Hence folk 'claiming' to have owned one and had to sell due to high costs from improper use. Hence folk who say it doesn't corner have pummelled into one and can't control the machine because they don't understand its ability or nor have they practiced correctly how to get the best from it.

Anyone riding a busa / gixxer the way you have described is OBVIOUSLY going to incur costs because riding like that is... well... a bit silly really and Bravado

Taking my time? Sorry I didn't ride like a pillock and rip the bike to pieces the last 20K mile and didn't need any vlave adjustments.

But I did cover 1269 miles in under 24 hours, through 5 european countries including several ciggy breaks, several fuel stops, a 2hr ferry delay, a ferry crossing, 3 stops to eat, 2 hours asleep on a verge. With the bike laden like this;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/carlosfandango/bikes/busaprague.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/carlosfandango/bikes/busacalais.jpg

I did take it Elvington and Woodbridge on occasions to top it.

I did live in the borders and rode all over the Northumberland twisties (and if you are Tyne based, you will know the condition of lots of these roads - very poor and bumpy and hard slog on a heavy busa)

It's a shame you couldn't do this because you didn't learn how to ride it properly.

The only bike I'd replace it with is the mighty ZZR. Another beast to tame.
25/07/2010 at 21:29

I got me a ZZR1100-c a couple of months ago, after passing my test last october. Its an awesome bike, lovely and kitten like round town and enough acceleration to make my ring quiver like a nerd accountant in a bald bastards jail cell on weekends.

No bike is a killer or licence loser if you ride it appropriately. 

29/07/2010 at 16:48

I've just done 3000 miles thru the states on an R1, didn't touch a freeway for than 100 miles. I was giving it large mittfulls at times. Pilot power Roads. There's still a good 1000 mile left on, maybe more. . . . so I refute my earlier post

05/08/2012 at 09:27
Found this thread while looking for opinions on what to swap my ZZR1400 tyres to, interesting reading. If you fancy swapping your busa to the mighty zzr go for it, though 1269 miles will make your backside more numb than the worst dead leg you've ever had! Otherwise the machine is awesome!
Your say
email image
20 messages