filtering speed

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
filtering speed

what speed would you consider safe when filtering? i only ask because on my wat to work this morning (in the car)going along the M8 traffic was heavy but moving freely,i was in outside lane doing about 70 ish,when along comes a bike doing over 70ish filtering between the lanes of traffic,maybe filtering isnt the right word,he was sort of weaving\dodging\filtering,i thought he had a death wish.So would anyone here consider this a safe thing to do.or has anyone here ever done it?....Sam

druidsam wrote

what speed would you consider safe when filtering?

About 120

This'll be good...

nothing under 60mph.reason being is that the road is a dangerous place full of twats in metal cages so its best to spend as little time on the road as possible, and the faster you go the shorter it will take you to get where your going thus you will be safer.thats the way us irish think anyway

druidsam wrote

what speed would you consider safe when filtering? i only ask because on my wat to work this morning (in the car)going along the M8 traffic was heavy but moving freely,i was in outside lane doing about 70 ish,when along comes a bike doing over 70ish filtering between the lanes of traffic,maybe filtering isnt the right word,he was sort of weaving\dodging\filtering,i thought he had a death wish.So would anyone here consider this a safe thing to do.or has anyone here ever done it?....Sam

all depends on the gaps available, type of road, speed of traffic & just how big a grin you want on yer face

druidsam wrote

Basic rule of thumb is no more than 20mph quicker that the traffic you're overtaking however as an ex-courier with 0.5 million miles covered I've done much worse that this at times IE:100MPH+ through stationary traffic but would not recommend it.

Whatever speed I'm doing is the correct filtering speed for the conditions.Anybody who filters more quickly is a reckless fool. Anybody who filters more slowly is a pathetic wimp who has no business riding a motorcycle.

Druid wrote

Whatever speed I'm doing is the correct filtering speed for the conditions. Anybody who filters more quickly is a reckless fool. Anybody who filters more slowly is a pathetic wimp who has no business riding a motorcycle.

Couldn't have put it better myself - absolutely perfect description of a level headed evidence based approach. I fully endorse it. Trouble is I also fully endorsed a beleedin pedestrian while filtering in the People's Republik a couple of weks ago...

druidsam wrote

Yeah......DEATH WISH......

Motorway filtering gives me the heebie-jeebies - but it's got to be done.I don't often filter if the traffic is doing 60+mph. I'll pick off a few lines of cars now and again at 50-60mph.The closer the gap between cars (nose to tail), the safer I feel when filtering as drivers - in my experience of daily M23/M25 commuting - are more likely to do a quick, unobservant lane-switch if there's more room for them.

I happily filter at and above 70 if i'm in the mood, but as a rule of thumb certainly no more than about 20mph more than the traffic! I'm used to doing M25 traffic at busy times, was scary at first but kinda got used to it now! Gets tiring after a while due to such heavy concentration though!

satanspawn wrote

I'm used to doing M25 traffic at busy times, was scary at first but kinda got used to it now! Gets tiring after a while due to such heavy concentration though!

Used to do M23 to M3 on the M25 in rush hour and you really feel you have done some work filtering that lot. I reckon it all depends on the conditions, there are not hard and fast rules, sometimes you go fast and sometimes you go slow.If I see someone on a bike approaching behind me when I am filtering and they are going faster then I move over and let them by, if they are happier at that faster speed then good on them and let them go I say.

mr tack wrote

About 120

Wuss

if the cars are doing less than about 90 I'll filter. I mean 70 feels like you could get off and walk faster FFS

M8, wasn't me then Cages tend to leap out of my way when I'm on that But I normally only start to filter when the traffic starts to slow, below 40 and rarely go much faster than them. I do have to odd moment when the surrounding traffic appears to be going too slow, favourite is the bridge when no one changes lanes

Druid wrote

Whatever speed I'm doing is the correct filtering speed for the conditions.Anybody who filters more quickly is a reckless fool. Anybody who filters more slowly is a pathetic wimp who has no business riding a motorcycle.

Seems exactly the right answer to me too :smoke:

normally I set myself a safe speed of 40mph, that if the cars are doing less, I'll filter, and above that I slot in and maintain position, as it seems to be the speed that they stop looking out for any risks, and will chop lanes to get position for the perceived inevitable snarl-up ahead (whether it happens or not).that's if I'm in safety mode, and just riding normal.have been known to go rather faster though, eh leepy

ive got some movies of me on the m62 in rushour round leeds that wuldscare the pants of ya ... well maybe if speeds drop below 80 i start to filter , but have been known to filter at 100+ if in a hurry ... try not to go more than 20-30 mph fater then the other trafic as ppl have said but that rule often gets ignored when i need to be the other side of lundan in 20 mins .... which can get scary .... my excuse , im a dispatcher orificer ... worked once . didnt work a couple of million times ... oh well

If the traffic gets down to 40 on the motorway I'll filter at about 80 if I'm feeling particularly impatient.

you're all mad ..either that or im just a big woos ...Sam

druidsam wrote

you're all mad ..either that or im just a big woos ...Sam

You are a big woos I started commuting on the M4 last September and at first I only filtered if the traffic was stationery. After a while I started filtering when the traffic was still moving. I just started raising the speed as I got used to it and now I will filter if the conditions are right for me right up to 80+mph traffic speeds. As others have said, a good rule of thumb for me is 20-30mph faster than the traffic.

20mph faster than the other traffic, but I can't seem to make my brain obey the sensible cut off point of 50 or 60mph. There's a spot on the M1 just past the M25 where there's 3 lanes of slow moving traffic and dead straight for about a mile. It's like seeing your own little road between lanes 2 and 3 and it's completely empty This is probably where I'll die

I filter at speeds I am happy doing........I don't tend to look down much to see how fast I am doing, I just try to be as smooth as possible. 100+ is not uncommon.......I want to get where I am going.........and I want to enjoy it as much as possible on the way...........however.......and this is the killer........the bit of naughtiness that gives us all a bad name..............that feeling of splitting cars at twice the national limit on a motorway or dual carriageway........ :burnout: .....sorry ....sometimes it is just so hard not to do.......I try to think about why....and I sometimes try to justify it by saying that it is safer to split than to wait for one car to get ahead of the other and change lanes.....

It all depends really on whether you feel the cars around you have noticed you.When the traffic has stopped, almost stopped then I'll take the most care, possibly only 10-15mph more, as it's then that the ignorant b&stards don't use mirrors etc.I usually commute at around 85mph, 70mph is when I start thinking about filtering past if the traffics backing up, or if I just want to get past some real annoying twat.But always I make sure I think the other people around me have seen what I'm doing.

Does anybody else here fold the mirrors in when filtering?Does "clack-clack-clack" mean I may be cutting it a little too close?

If I feel happy and safe doing it, and I won't cause any cars surrounding me to move to accomodate my filtering [as in "whooo, where'd that bike come from, oh shit, *swerve*], I'll do it. I used to not bother over 40mph. But recently I've been doing it at 60-70.

Whoa everybodyWhat DS is describing is not 'filtering' - it's 'overtaking'Filtering is where the traffic is stationary or 'not significantly moving' (cant remenber the words exactly, they were on a thread about a month ago).Slalom style overtaking of traffic moving as a body over, say, 20ish is:Not legal - well no biggie there Any incident would be 'our fault' insurance wise - that matters Incidents are far more likely cos the damn cagers have got some manouvering speed on and can change lanes in a heartbeat It does piss-off a great deal of people - does that matter? to you?So, we have legal, personal safety (yours that is) and PR issues to consider.Who does the warp-speed inside-overtakes and who doesn't isn't quite the point.Feudal Lord lights blue touch-paper and steps back :burnout:

BlackKnight wrote

Whoa everybodyWhat DS is describing is not 'filtering' - it's 'overtaking'Filtering is where the traffic is stationary or 'not significantly moving' (cant remenber the words exactly, they were on a thread about a month ago).Slalom style overtaking of traffic moving as a body over, say, 20ish is:Not legal - well no biggie there

Weaving in and out is frowned upon, but are you saying filtering isn't allowed past 20mph? Stinky bait to me, but the numerous police cars I've passed at 40mph haven't had a problem

BlackKnight wrote

Whoa everybodyWhat DS is describing is not 'filtering' - it's 'overtaking'Filtering is where the traffic is stationary or 'not significantly moving' (cant remenber the words exactly, they were on a thread about a month ago).Slalom style overtaking of traffic moving as a body over, say, 20ish is:Not legal - well no biggie there Any incident would be 'our fault' insurance wise - that matters Incidents are far more likely cos the damn cagers have got some manouvering speed on and can change lanes in a heartbeat It does piss-off a great deal of people - does that matter? to you?So, we have legal, personal safety (yours that is) and PR issues to consider.Who does the warp-speed inside-overtakes and who doesn't isn't quite the point.Feudal Lord lights blue touch-paper and steps back :burnout:

ooooops

If you didn't weave in and out on the A2 out of London, you'd never get anywhere and slow all the rest of the thousands of bikes down who do it every day!! I tend not to do it once I'm out past the Black Prince interchange though and almost never on the M2....although having said that, in my despatching days back in the 80's, did chase a bloke on a z1300 up the M2 towards London at about 130 or so on my Ninja...like the scene in the Matrix Reloaded...INCREDIBLY stupid, but quite possibly one of the most exhilirating things I've ever done on a bike!! Tend not to do it too much on the M25 these days either...just cos' I don't wanna get nicked really!!In stationary traffic, whatever feels safe, depending on forward view and size of gap!!

choc-ice wrote

Weaving in and out is frowned upon, but are you saying filtering isn't allowed past 20mph? Stinky bait to me, but the numerous police cars I've passed at 40mph haven't had a problem

Choc-iceI did a search on filtering but there is sooo much...Somewhere on VD there is chapter and verse on the legalities - up to you whether you comply but I feel strongly that we should know our position (as with plates/cans/visors) so we know when we are streeeetching things a bit Found this as a practical guide.Think there was a DiRE article on this last year, traffic cops were asked about filtering/overtaking, as a rule, if you were'nt taking the piss they wouldn't 'see' you but otherwise it's a pull - Mr T, F and others to comment please?

Do the M4 every day from J10 into Laaandan.Filtering technique depends on weather, traffic conditions, mood etc.Try to strike a balance between safety and progress.Recently I've seen quite a few complete dobbers who wave their fists or swear at car drivers who don't instantly move over to let them through, while being totally oblivious to the bike up their chuff for the last few miles which would like past.

I fail to see how the actions on a motorway at high speed are regarded as filtering. you are either overtaking or undertaking.My interpretation of filtering is riding in the middle between two lanes of slow moving traffic.This incidentally is prefectly legal provided you are doing less than 30mph.

kneeslider wrote

I fail to see how the actions on a motorway at high speed are regarded as filtering. you are either overtaking or undertaking.My interpretation of filtering is riding in the middle between two lanes of slow moving traffic.This incidentally is prefectly legal provided you are doing less than 30mph.

KSI'll agree that, we're just after some clarification of exact speeds and situations that are OK - even undertaking is legal in the right context.Searched the .gov sites to no avail so far but foundThisand thisas practical adviceFWIW :burnout:

Pussyhorse wrote

Do the M4 every day from J10 into Laaandan.Filtering technique depends on weather, traffic conditions, mood etc.Try to strike a balance between safety and progress.Recently I've seen quite a few complete dobbers who wave their fists or swear at car drivers who don't instantly move over to let them through, while being totally oblivious to the bike up their chuff for the last few miles which would like past.

Ooo what bike you on? I go from west london to Bracknell. Sometimes go past legoland, or through windsor park, or sometimes M4.I tend to filter if I feel it's safe for me to do so. Sometimes, if I am in a hurry I'll be a bit more bonkers and go faster - not especially safe or clever, but like scottland says, quite possibly the most exhilirating thing one can do on a bike.

choc-ice wrote

20mph faster than the other traffic, but I can't seem to make my brain obey the sensible cut off point of 50 or 60mph. There's a spot on the M1 just past the M25 where there's 3 lanes of slow moving traffic and dead straight for about a mile. It's like seeing your own little road between lanes 2 and 3 and it's completely empty This is probably where I'll die

I slow right down for that bit...way too many opportunities to get crunched. 30-40 tops.

Pussyhorse wrote

I do J10 to J7 every morning. Don't shake my fist at anyone though, as on that stretch, it is easy to get by.

Bad Devotions wrote

Ooo what bike you on? I go from west london to Bracknell. Sometimes go past legoland, or through windsor park, or sometimes M4.

You're in UB3? I've recently moved from Southall to Bracknell. A wise move I thought. I'm on a crappy beat up red, white and blue Africa Twin.Going in I use the M4 all the way. Coming home I come off a j6 and go through the park.

JamJar wrote

I do J10 to J7 every morning. Don't shake my fist at anyone though, as on that stretch, it is easy to get by.

You got an orange storm? Seen one of them getting off at j7 a few times. Usually see the fist waving crap once it turns into the A4 in town.Anyone else seen the guy on the pan with all the police style reflective gear with 'pianist' written on the back? Whassatallabhaat?

Pussyhorse wrote

You got an orange storm? Seen one of them getting off at j7 a few times. Usually see the fist waving crap once it turns into the A4 in town.

No, blue and white GSXR600, I probably get on later than you, beteween 7:45 and 8:00.

lynw wrote

accept what I do isnt legal and take as much care as I can and make sure Im absolutely certain that its safe to go through. Tend to be when cars are side by side as this minimises the risk of them changing lanes. but ime, the slower the traffic the more likely there is to be an incident. ime on the m20/m25/a2 in cars which are travelling at speed tend not to change lane so much as theyre making progress. its when the speed drops and impatience sets in that I find the lane changes increase. if a gap opens up cos the lane next to a cager has moved 2ft they feel the need to move 2ft on and must be in that gap So as the traffic speed drops do does mine considerably down to a be able to stop speed in anticipation for that lane change without mirror check.

what he said - the dangerous time for unpredictable behaviour is when fast traffic is suddenly slowing - or it's been nigh-on, but not quite, stationary for more than a couple of minutes. (ime).

JamJar wrote

No, blue and white GSXR600, I probably get on later than you, beteween 7:45 and 8:00.

I usually leave around the same time as you.Wave if you see a shitter AT.

awwww fuck! im a woos from woosville ....Sam

Merv24 wrote

as an ex-courier with 0.5 million miles covered I've done much worse that this at times IE:100MPH+ through stationary traffic but would not recommend it.

And that on the back wheel, mentalist!!!I avoid motorways as the boredom means you can't help starting little filtering races. Well my dad did use to tell me to go play with the traffic . . .

mr tack wrote

About 120

Get in third gear then Unless you're having trouble with clutchless changes when the bike is near vertical

[QUOTE=Nicki]And that on the back wheel, mentalist!!![QUOTE]Oh god please dont encourage him London to helmsley tomorrow could be a bit scary.

depends on the conditions, sometimes i don't filter at all. If the traffic is slow, say under 50mph- then i'll filter (using the +20mph over other traffic as a guide). If the traffic is quicker than that (usually motorways ) then it's any speed really. We've all been there doing 140mph inbetween two lorries.

Not done it for a while as i'm bikeless, but from what I remember if you have time to look down and see how fast you are going whilst filtering, you could make better use of your eyes and go quicker......

Pussyhorse wrote

Anyone else seen the guy on the pan with all the police style reflective gear with 'pianist' written on the back? Whassatallabhaat?

yup - I saw him this morning.... I have no idea!

Bad Devotions wrote

yup - I saw him this morning.... I have no idea!

A euphemism for Penis perhaps.

druidsam wrote

So would anyone here consider this a safe thing to do.or has anyone here ever done it?....Sam

Not proud of it but done it often on the M27 in rush hour traffic. Never had any bother. It is a risk but not too bad. Looks riskier than it actually is.Filtered past a cop car on it's inside (it was in the far righthand lane) at about 80 (he was doing 70'ish) and didn't get pulled.It's not absolute speed that matters so much as relative speed. If the traffic was stopped or doing 10-15 mph then my speed differential would be the same i.e. I'd be doing only 5-10mph more than they are so I should be able to stop/slowdown in time if they do anything silly.

The 'penis' idea had crossed my mind. It's so well executed though.He's even got a post on the back with a flashing orange light. His yellow dayglo-derek bib thing even says 'pianist' on the back and his BMW flip top lid has a piano keyboard sticker across the back of it.I keep seeing the same arrogant knobber on one of the old honda 800 pacific thingies (I think). Saw him again last night. A chelsea tractor didn't instantly dive for the kerb to let him through, so he decided to shout and swear through the open window. Cock.

Follow Visordown

Latest Bike News

Crash Media Group
Visordown is part of the CMG Full Throttle Network© : welcoming over 3 million consumers each month