filtering speed

1 to 20 of 50 messages
15/06/2005 at 19:22
what speed would you consider safe when filtering? i only ask because on my wat to work this morning (in the car)going along the M8 traffic was heavy but moving freely,i was in outside lane doing about 70 ish,when along comes a bike doing over 70ish filtering between the lanes of traffic,maybe filtering isnt the right word,he was sort of weaving\dodging\filtering,i thought he had a death wish.So would anyone here consider this a safe thing to do.or has anyone here ever done it?....Sam

trust me! im a druid
www.bikerforum.co.uk/
15/06/2005 at 19:23
druidsam wrote
what speed would you consider safe when filtering?

About 120

I'm leaving on the five train
Don't ask me when I'm coming back again
I reckon it's only a matter of time
Before the law kick in the door
Mother I'm running out of change,
but I had to phone to let you know

They'll never take me alive....
15/06/2005 at 19:24
This'll be good...

Yawn! It's wearing a little thin now, don't you think?

Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.

Launchcast Cradley_Kawasaki

onli mrns Us txt spk
15/06/2005 at 19:26
nothing under 60mph.

reason being is that the road is a dangerous place full of twats in metal cages so its best to spend as little time on the road as possible, and the faster you go the shorter it will take you to get where your going thus you will be safer.

thats the way us irish think anyway

Now the owner of a fully road legal gsxr1100m
I have 78ft-lbs of torque @5000rpm what does you bike have?
15/06/2005 at 19:27
druidsam wrote
what speed would you consider safe when filtering? i only ask because on my wat to work this morning (in the car)going along the M8 traffic was heavy but moving freely,i was in outside lane doing about 70 ish,when along comes a bike doing over 70ish filtering between the lanes of traffic,maybe filtering isnt the right word,he was sort of weaving\dodging\filtering,i thought he had a death wish.So would anyone here consider this a safe thing to do.or has anyone here ever done it?....Sam

all depends on the gaps available, type of road, speed of traffic & just how big a grin you want on yer face
15/06/2005 at 19:32
druidsam wrote

Basic rule of thumb is no more than 20mph quicker that the traffic you're overtaking however as an ex-courier with 0.5 million miles covered I've done much worse that this at times IE:100MPH+ through stationary traffic but would not recommend it.

15/06/2005 at 20:07
Whatever speed I'm doing is the correct filtering speed for the conditions.

Anybody who filters more quickly is a reckless fool. Anybody who filters more slowly is a pathetic wimp who has no business riding a motorcycle.

http://www.visordown.com/members/images/134626/Signature_3444.jpg
"A biker is someone who rides through choice. Not because it is the most comfortable way to transport a body but because it can be the most magical way to carry a soul " - Dave Gurman
15/06/2005 at 20:10
Druid wrote

Anybody who filters more quickly is a reckless fool. Anybody who filters more slowly is a pathetic wimp who has no business riding a motorcycle.

Couldn't have put it better myself - absolutely perfect description of a level headed evidence based approach. I fully endorse it. Trouble is I also fully endorsed a beleedin pedestrian while filtering in the People's Republik a couple of weks ago...
15/06/2005 at 20:12
druidsam wrote

Yeah......DEATH WISH......
15/06/2005 at 20:25
Motorway filtering gives me the heebie-jeebies - but it's got to be done.

I don't often filter if the traffic is doing 60+mph.
I'll pick off a few lines of cars now and again at 50-60mph.
The closer the gap between cars (nose to tail), the safer I feel when filtering as drivers - in my experience of daily M23/M25 commuting - are more likely to do a quick, unobservant lane-switch if there's more room for them.

Stop press: Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!
------------------------
Personal endorsements:
Bikes of Brighton; X-Bikes - The Power Is Out There...Cambs
B&HA FC Seaweed
-------------------------
first-change-bowler.blogspot.com/
www.wecanbeatwilms.org
www.justgiving.com/wecanbeatwilms
15/06/2005 at 21:00
I happily filter at and above 70 if i'm in the mood, but as a rule of thumb certainly no more than about 20mph more than the traffic!

I'm used to doing M25 traffic at busy times, was scary at first but kinda got used to it now! Gets tiring after a while due to such heavy concentration though!

Robsom Racing (service+parts+mailorder) Warks 01608 664122
http://www.digiuk.com
15/06/2005 at 21:06
satanspawn wrote
I'm used to doing M25 traffic at busy times, was scary at first but kinda got used to it now! Gets tiring after a while due to such heavy concentration though!

Used to do M23 to M3 on the M25 in rush hour and you really feel you have done some work filtering that lot. I reckon it all depends on the conditions, there are not hard and fast rules, sometimes you go fast and sometimes you go slow.

If I see someone on a bike approaching behind me when I am filtering and they are going faster then I move over and let them by, if they are happier at that faster speed then good on them and let them go I say.

Mr. Tibbs hits the nail on the head when it comes to what happens if you help the environment.

Mr Tibbs wrote
You'll be a fucking hero and some sort of tree-hugging yoghurt-weaving organisation is bound to reward you with free sandals and worry-beads for the rest of your low-impact environmentally friendly life.

Every man should have a shed where he can potter, Visordown is my shed on the internet
15/06/2005 at 21:08
if the cars are doing less than about 90 I'll filter. I mean 70 feels like you could get off and walk faster FFS

The pictures used in this signature are copyrighted and NO WAY am I granting free use to TWO of these nor any of my stuff.

Thank you for spoiling Visordown. Bring back the INDEPENDENT vBulletin boards.

15/06/2005 at 21:11
M8, wasn't me then Cages tend to leap out of my way when I'm on that

But I normally only start to filter when the traffic starts to slow, below 40 and rarely go much faster than them. I do have to odd moment when the surrounding traffic appears to be going too slow, favourite is the bridge when no one changes lanes

http://www.briscar.com/images/diabo.gif

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/diablo.gif

Ride safe Ride free
15/06/2005 at 21:14
Druid wrote

Seems exactly the right answer to me too :smoke:

Material in this post, including text and images, is protected by copyright. It may not be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, posted, broadcast or transmitted in any way except for your own personal, non-commercial use. Prior written consent of the copyright holder must be obtained for any other use of material. Copyright in all materials and/or works comprising or contained within this post remains with the author and other copyright owner(s) as specified. No part of this post may be distributed or copied for any commercial purpose.

15/06/2005 at 21:16
normally I set myself a safe speed of 40mph, that if the cars are doing less, I'll filter, and above that I slot in and maintain position, as it seems to be the speed that they stop looking out for any risks, and will chop lanes to get position for the perceived inevitable snarl-up ahead (whether it happens or not).

that's if I'm in safety mode, and just riding normal.

have been known to go rather faster though, eh leepy

EXCLUSIVE!!! 

http://www.crazymarmalade.co.uk/VD/rossi02.jpg

Shocking spy shots of GP superstar Valentino Rossi practicing for his new career in Covent Garden!

Only in your Super Soaraway Sun!

15/06/2005 at 21:33
ive got some movies of me on the m62 in rushour round leeds that wuldscare the pants of ya ... well maybe

if speeds drop below 80 i start to filter , but have been known to filter at 100+ if in a hurry ...
try not to go more than 20-30 mph fater then the other trafic as ppl have said but that rule often gets ignored when i need to be the other side of lundan in 20 mins .... which can get scary ....
my excuse , im a dispatcher orificer ... worked once . didnt work a couple of million times ... oh well

This is madder than the day Mr mad went ot madville on national mad day while tied to another mad thing.
You sir are mad as a baloon!
Keep it up ---- KFZ
TIT#148E/A TWO#/A/1150 (gs) 1100 (bmw s) 850(trx fighter) 750 (zx7r) 650 (sv commuter hack) 
Brought to you by
--<>-- Olly Logic [TM] --<>--

15/06/2005 at 21:36
If the traffic gets down to 40 on the motorway I'll filter at about 80 if I'm feeling particularly impatient.
15/06/2005 at 21:57
you're all mad ..either that or im just a big woos ...Sam

trust me! im a druid
www.bikerforum.co.uk/
16/06/2005 at 07:57
druidsam wrote
you're all mad ..either that or im just a big woos ...Sam
You are a big woos I started commuting on the M4 last September and at first I only filtered if the traffic was stationery. After a while I started filtering when the traffic was still moving. I just started raising the speed as I got used to it and now I will filter if the conditions are right for me right up to 80+mph traffic speeds. As others have said, a good rule of thumb for me is 20-30mph faster than the traffic.
1 to 20 of 50 messages