Dell - how the mighty have fallen

What utter utter shambles

21 to 33 of 33 messages
05/02/2009 at 18:31
its the old story, have million trillion customers, you're going to get large numbers of people that think you are 'shite', on the otherhand, you'll have millions thatare satisfied
Ihave had dealings with apple, mainly the mouse, which whilst very clever,and neat, does have a fudimental flaw with the scrolling wheel, but , just pop in store and i get, hi john, another mouse mate

Have you filled your GARAGE in yet?
05/02/2009 at 20:44

I bought a Dell 10 years ago for the enormous sum of £1200, served me for years with no problem.

The guy at the local computer shop who builds all my computers now reckons they just use the same cheap crappy components as everyone else nowadays tho.

My advice is find a small shop and get one built, any problems with ours and we just pop it along and it's sorted usually the same day often without even being charged for it.

http://www.scottishgifts4u.co.uk/ for a selection of quality gifts

05/02/2009 at 20:53

I bought a Toshiba Laptop 10 months ago, and am very pleased with it.  I considered Dell at the time but couldn't get the spec I wanted.  I specifically wanted a high resolution screen in a small laptop, as using a big laptop on the train or plane is hopeless, but I need the resolution for the applications I work with.   I thought the Toshiba expensive at over £800 but similarly spec'd Dells weren't much cheaper if at all.

I built my desktop myself 4 years ago and it's still fast enough for what it's used for.  The only items to fail have been the case fan and he DVD writer that sometimes refuses to open, both replaced recently for less than £20.

"This vehicle has remarkable power and should be used gradually and with maximum caution." - Aprilia
05/02/2009 at 21:14

My Medion akoya seems OK and the Acer I had prior to that was brilliant. The Acer I bought secondhand off a mate. The Medion I bought from Sainsburys 4 or 5 weeks ago for next to nothing for it's spec.

The point? Buggered if I know. I've never had a Dell.

98% of the time I'm right. Why worry about the other 3%.

05/02/2009 at 21:15
i've had my dell laptop for 4 yrs now and not a problem

O'tooles law. O'toole declared Murphy to be an optimist

05/02/2009 at 23:38
I bought 32 Acer laptops last year and 32 HP ones and the Acer ones were pants. The HP ones were Ok but the batteries were shocking. I've just bought 2 Dell studio 15's and they are getting the thumbs up.
Flo
05/02/2009 at 23:44

Really sorry to hear about your oppo Nige. One of the reasons I bought a Dell was a recomendation from a friend, citing their excellent customer service. Being an IT numpty I pretty much f*cked up my new lappy straight away (I know ), the guys in Ireland couldn't have been more helpful. Same thing with my Dad. On my recomendation, he gets a desktop and suffers various minor dramas setting it up, adding peripherals etc., again the boys sorted him out quick time. A particularly nice touch was their habit of taking his number and ringing him back, so the support cost literally nothing...

I can't believe they've given up such a superb customer service just to save a few sheckels, surely computers (especially VFM ones, like most of Dells) are all about return business?

The lappy, in spite of my best efforts, has behaved flawlessly for two and a half years now. Best computer I've ever owned...

http://www.visordown.com/members/images/182224/Gallery/Smaller_lappy.jpg

06/02/2009 at 00:24

Flo,

How small is your mouse mat????

Flo
06/02/2009 at 00:50
 Don't you have one? They're the latest thing- bonsai mats.  
06/02/2009 at 08:53
Flo wrote (see)

. . . . . The lappy, in spite of my best efforts, has behaved flawlessly for two and a half years now. Best computer I've ever owned...

The best computers here have been those we put together ourselves using parts bought from magazines ads.

The Packard Bell currently being used, and purchased from the PCW bunch of amatures has probably been the worst computer used here.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/rydalong/SIGGYMOVE.gif
What, not another jolly ?

06/02/2009 at 15:06

for half the price you could build it yourself and have something much better, get a secondhand p4 laptop and just upgrade the hell out of it. i have a p4 2.8ghz laptop wiv 500gb disk space and 4gb ram and an ati graphics card, total cost £471, never used now cos this desktop is 4 times better.

I can't think of anything to put here.

Flo
06/02/2009 at 20:39

Fair enough if you're happy putting electronics together, installing software and fault finding the inevitable niggles. I'm none of the above...

Oh, and you're right, PCW suck.

06/02/2009 at 22:55
I've got an Atari ST 520 STFM from the last century. No problems at all.

http://www.visordown.com/members/images/171397/Gallery/MenWomen14846.gif
Pleez can I cum over your place?
Your say
email image
21 to 33 of 33 messages