Can you attach curtain tracks to UPVC?

14 messages
23/05/2007 at 12:20
Doing a spot of DIY...hanging new curtains to be precise.

The curtain track is currently hanging from fixtures in the ceiling - it's a pretty shit set up, because whatever the fixtures go into isn't solid enough to hold the weight of anything heavy.

So i was thinking of attaching some new fixing and a plastic track (it's a bay window) to the UPVC surround of my double glazed windows because it must be strong than what I've got currently.

Question: can you do this without somehow damaging the double glazing (or the seal, or whatever) itself? Presumably if it's in the surround, you're ok, but do you need to be a certain distance from the edge of the glass?

Is there a special type of fixing I should use for UPVC?

Can I get a fixing that protrudes from the UPVC more so that the curtains don't just squish against the glass?

Assuming that I can actually do this, what sort of power tool should I use to drill holes into the UPVC for the fixings?

Cheers, Tim-the-Tool-Man-Taylor type folks

And when Santa squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse...Hallelujah. Holy shit. Where's the Tylenol?

~ Clark Griswold National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
OB
23/05/2007 at 12:27
To hang that kind of weight, you're going to have to use something sturdy.
If it were ME, I'd not want to damage the frames, so I'd probably use NOMORENAILS (seriously) and stick on some curtain pole hangers with a nice wide (area for gluing) base.

You CAN drill into the frames if you like, but bear in mind that they're hollow, so if you stick a screw in, it'll flap around in the space.

Best bet would be to measure the frame, pop down to B&Q and see if they have any curtain rails with bases that'll fit.

If memory serves, you curtains are really heavy, so I'd possibly look at any and all alternatives:
Screwing/gluing batons to the ceiling and attaching rail to them
Frosting the bottom half of the window and not having curtains
Blinds
Naturism

23/05/2007 at 12:29
Can you not fix a batton to the ceiling and then the rail onto that, have a downy peice of wood (facia???) that covers the rail?

Mr. Tibbs hits the nail on the head when it comes to what happens if you help the environment.

Mr Tibbs wrote
You'll be a fucking hero and some sort of tree-hugging yoghurt-weaving organisation is bound to reward you with free sandals and worry-beads for the rest of your low-impact environmentally friendly life.

Every man should have a shed where he can potter, Visordown is my shed on the internet
23/05/2007 at 12:29
I haven't seen this done before, no idea if it would work but as the aluminium frames must be less than 2mm thick you won't get much grip with a screw so perhaps it won't take much weight. And you'll have lots of holes if it goes wrong.

Usually you put a wooden strip onto the wall and screw the curtain rail into that. You can use as many screws as you like to make sure the wood is firmly on the wall (or an industrial sized tub of NoMoreNails) and then screw the curtain tracks to the wood.
23/05/2007 at 12:33
Just get the hubby to spunk on it and hold it against the wall for 10 minutes.

Last time I wiped my dripping cock on a girls curtains they stuck to the wall like glue.

www.karateglasgow.com

23/05/2007 at 12:33
OB wrote
If it were ME, I'd not want to damage the frames, so I'd probably use NOMORENAILS (seriously) and stick on some curtain pole hangers with a nice wide (area for gluing) base.
Curtain poles aren't going to work because it's a bay window and I want the track to go in the bay. Gotta be a plastic flexitrack.

If memory serves, you curtains are really heavy
The downstairs ones aren't, but are a bit more precarious because whatever lies above the ceiling tiles is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard for gripping screws

Screwing/gluing batons to the ceiling and attaching rail to them
I don't think I can screw these in, for the same reason that the existing curtains rails are not attached very securely to the ceiling. The only alternative that might work is glueing batons to the ceiling.

Short of that, I've going to have to pull the ceiling tiles down in the bay and make a new frame before replacing (likely plasterboarding) the ceiling. Then I'll be able to fix the new fittings through the plasterboard and onto the wooden frame above.

I'd rather pull my eyelashes out than do that

PS blinds also won't work - they won't fix to the ceiling for the same reason ^^^^

PPS naturism? stalker dude would love that

And when Santa squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse...Hallelujah. Holy shit. Where's the Tylenol?

OB
23/05/2007 at 12:35
Get yourself a really long screw - 3inches or so, and screw it into the bay ceiling - see if you hit anything solid above the polystyrene, or whatever it is... it may save you masses of hassle.

23/05/2007 at 12:37
OB wrote
Get yourself a really long screw - 3inches or so, and screw it into the bay ceiling - see if you hit anything solid above the polystyrene ......

like an electrical cable, central heating pipe etc etc

Really dont think I would want to do that.

Mr. Tibbs hits the nail on the head when it comes to what happens if you help the environment.

Mr Tibbs wrote
You'll be a fucking hero and some sort of tree-hugging yoghurt-weaving organisation is bound to reward you with free sandals and worry-beads for the rest of your low-impact environmentally friendly life.

Every man should have a shed where he can potter, Visordown is my shed on the internet
OB
23/05/2007 at 12:39
OK, so wear rubber gloves and wellies.

OOh, actually... it's under your bathroom partly innit... hmm.

Duct tape then?

23/05/2007 at 12:39
Use a combination of no more nails and screw/s.

Put supports where you want them using the screw/s to hold them tight to the frame whilst the glue takes (we left em overnight).

TiT#107D WINO#1 MOL

Celebrity Beer Belly Twin

23/05/2007 at 12:43
The safest and best way is screw timber to the ceiling and then the curtain track to that, if you don't want the timber then find where the joists are in the ceiling to attach the pole too

I have enough bikes thanks
23/05/2007 at 12:49
Trace wrote

PS blinds also won't work - they won't fix to the ceiling for the same reason

There is an option, they fit onto the frame

www.perfect-fit-blinds.com/

23/05/2007 at 13:11
Think I'm going to go with the no more nails/timber suggestion. Cheers peeps!

I'll just to get Mr Trace to stand there overnight holding them in place...I figure if i ask him after Liverpool have won tonight he'll say yes to anything!

Yesterday at 21:48
Edited: 23/10/2014 at 21:53
Your say
email image
14 messages