Buildings Insurance

17 messages
01/11/2007 at 22:30
Anyone know about this stuff?

What value buildings insurance do I need compared to the value of the house? I was just about to hit the BUY button to grab some building and contents insurance for our new drum, when I noticed the maximum buildings cover - a figure amounting to 86% of the value of the house.

That enough?

I see good people

The ORIGINAL Southern Death Racer
Great Boobie of the Shafted Path
TIT#205/C
RADIO-TROG
01/11/2007 at 22:34
You need enough to cover site clearance and rebuild if your house gets blown up. A lot of the value is in the land area which isn't really relevant to insurance.

TIT#211D
01/11/2007 at 22:37
Mussels wrote
You need enough to cover site clearance and rebuild if your house gets blown up. A lot of the value is in the land area which isn't really relevant to insurance.

What he said.

Like as not if people had the chance, were it not for planning permission, people would buy your house and knock it down to build their own. Alas you live on a small crowded island so the land is worth a hell of a lot more than it would cost to rebuild your home if it were blown down or blown up.
01/11/2007 at 22:38
Normally you rely on the survey when you buy the house and then index it on a yearly basis.
Maybe ask the previous owner what sum they had covered. The simplest survey tends to have a rebuild estimate.

As for percentages, ours is 160% of the value of our house, but it's difficult to find builder who could faithfully rebuild a 1760s house these days.
Normally most new build houses would have a rebuild cost c.60-75% of the value, though it's difficult to generalise.
01/11/2007 at 22:39
Ares wrote
What he said.

Like as not if people had the chance, were it not for planning permission, people would buy your house and knock it down to build their own. Alas you live on a small crowded island so the land is worth a hell of a lot more than it would cost to rebuild your home.
So 86% is enough then - because the land must account for more than 14% of the value. Is that right?

I see good people

TIT#205/C
RADIO-TROG
01/11/2007 at 22:40
Kneerly Down wrote
Normally you rely on the survey when you buy the house and then index it on a yearly basis.
Maybe ask the previous owner what sum they had covered. The simplest survey tends to have a rebuild estimate.

As for percentages, ours is 160% of the value of our house, but it's difficult to find builder who could faithfully rebuild a 1760s house these days.
Normally most new build houses would have a rebuild cost c.60-75% of the value, though it's difficult to generalise.

Not forgetting the price premium per square foot in say urban london vs. the provinces.
01/11/2007 at 22:41
Ares wrote
Not forgetting the price premium per square foot in say urban london vs. the provinces.
Yep. We are talking bandit country.

I see good people

TIT#205/C
RADIO-TROG
01/11/2007 at 22:41
trogladyte wrote
So 86% is enough then - because the land must account for more than 14% of the value. Is that right?

Sounds about median from my limited experience.

By and large in the UK, unless you live in a 'listed' building your 'sale' value of your house will be a hell of a lot more than the rebuild cost.
01/11/2007 at 22:44
Anyone know about this stuff?
All i know is it cost £30 a month.
01/11/2007 at 22:48
Trog, if you live in the SE 86% sounds fine tbh. Many blocks of flats run at a much lower ratio for the reasons stated above.

You don't state whether you own a house, or flat, or the land holding arrangements. But, generally speaking, home insurers don't try to downsell on coverage.
01/11/2007 at 22:51
Ares wrote
Sounds about median from my limited experience.

By and large in the UK, unless you live in a 'listed' building your 'sale' value of your house will be a hell of a lot more than the rebuild cost.
Think I'm going to grab it. Pretty reasonable deal - £100 less than the cost for this house, even though it's a for a considerably larger drum - presumably because its not in quite such a war zone as this one.

I see good people

TIT#205/C
RADIO-TROG
01/11/2007 at 22:53
Ares wrote
Trog, if you live in the SE 86% sounds fine tbh. Many blocks of flats run at a much lower ratio for the reasons stated above.

You don't state whether you own a house, or flat, or the land holding arrangements. But, generally speaking, home insurers don't try to downsell on coverage.
It's a victorian freehold semi in leafy suburbia.

I see good people

TIT#205/C
RADIO-TROG
01/11/2007 at 23:01
trogladyte wrote
It's a victorian freehold semi in leafy suburbia.

My opinion only but that sounds a safe bet. Probably over-insuring.
01/11/2007 at 23:14
davevmax wrote
yeah! Aren't you just! Why is it so different?There's thieves everywhere!!
Dave's not here, man.

I see good people

TIT#205/C
RADIO-TROG
01/11/2007 at 23:19
RossR46 wrote
All i know is it cost £30 a month.

tell you morgage provider to fcuk off (is it abbey)...try these

www.lv.com/

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/popadop/popadop.jpg
credit to isle of & easy now andy for my sig pic.
02/11/2007 at 07:50
we just had the first burglaries in our village for 6 years, everyone is terrified!!!!!!

Have you filled your GARAGE in yet?
03/11/2007 at 00:58
davevmax wrote
Yeah! soz! that was meant for elsewhere!! Am only a fkn joiner!!
Er....Dave's not here, man.

I see good people

TIT#205/C
RADIO-TROG
Your say
email image
17 messages