Bradford City Gone Into Administration

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bradford City Gone Into Administration

This is my home town club, and it is sad.

All due to the ITV Digital saga

Wonder how many more are gonna go under ?

Bradford City have gone into administration just a year after being relegated from the Premier League.
The club were granted a limited order by the High Court in Leeds and will have its position reviewed in July.

Bradford are one of the 72 football clubs affected by the collapse of ITV Digital, which owes the three lower divisions £178.5m.

Bradford City's share of those television rights would have been approximately £5m.

Tax bill

And another two years of paying its leading player Benito Carbone's £40,000 a week contract would have added a further £5m to the club's debt.

At the court hearing the club also said it owed the Inland Revenue £400,000.

Mr Justice Blackburn warned Bradford City that if the administration was not a success, it would be the end of the club.

At its recent annual meeting the club admitted it was nearly £13m in the red.

"On the positive side the administrators have confirmed that they will be seeking to achieve a speedy sale of the club," chairman Geoffrey Richmond told the Bradford website.

A supporters' meeting is being held on Thursday.

its a shame, but they are going to be the first of many I think

There will be more, Bury FC @ my end of the country is hanging on by a thread, even had players out begging with buckets in Bury town centre, how sad Fecking greedy fecking TV companies

My brother will be pi$$ed off at that one - he used to go see them all the time.

Yorick wrote

This is my home town club, and it is sad.

coming from Mr. Man Utd supporter!

Shit Appens !!! About time they went bump ! footballers are paid far to much Surely they cant blame it all on ITV Digital - Tossers

so what happens now.the receivers come in, sell the club grounds and trophies, to a company called Bradford United.The players all get a free transfer to the new club, the club pleads with the FA to let them into the division and bob is your auntie's husband.....

Huddersfiled town has a wage bill of 4 million and where are they.Its not ITV dig is spend far to much on players when your wage bill alone is more than 100% of your income its mad. Football as for a long time been living on rich guys and kind banks . To many clubs and to many players on high wages its been coming for ome TV . The Primeaship is next Sky as already side next time they will pay less .

That's market forces at work. The clubs wanted too much money, the TV co. paid it, Joe Public said 'no thanks'. Bubble bursts.

sorry but this is about bloody timeAny other business would have to have controlled expendature.13 mil in debt? How on earth were they gonna make any money. How many shirts do they sell? How many through the gates? Sorry but its about bleedin time clubs started to act like proper businesses. Good riddance I say. Fancy payin 40,00 a week for a player.No one but the greedy clubs have got themselves to blame. The players are demanding high wages as the clubs make so much off their backs. Its a catch 22 so tough tits

Stig wrote

sorry but this is about bloody timeAny other business would have to have controlled expendature.13 mil in debt? How on earth were they gonna make any money. How many shirts do they sell? How many through the gates? Sorry but its about bleedin time clubs started to act like proper businesses. Good riddance I say. Fancy payin 40,00 a week for a player.No one but the greedy clubs have got themselves to blame. The players are demanding high wages as the clubs make so much off their backs. Its a catch 22 so tough tits

What staggers me is that many of the directors of football clubs are people that are no strangers to business .. there are many with successful companies in which they are the majority shareholder. These are often very wealthy guys, but they seem to forget the basics when it comes to running a modern footbal club.The first thing you have got to do is balance the income and expenditure so that you are earning a little more than the players, ground etc cost. Everthing stems from that ! I doubt if any of the clubs in question have any real hope of paying off the debts they have incurred. A lot has been paid to the players and agents and its forced the beatiful game to the edge. Now, alls fair, if you have the talent you deserve the money - but the money has got to be there in the first place. I doubt if even Renaldo playing for QPR through a season would guarantee filling all the seats and the TOTAL Gate money possible would only be in the order of £300,000 a game if it was packed to the roof (or in Rangers case the loft ) The whole thing is a mess and more than a little sordid - I don't hink are going to get better any time soon..... do you?

Football is a victim of it's own greed...

Bad news. Always had a soft spot for Bradford City as it's where my Mother's side of the family hail from.Surely this is where the National Lottery should be stepping in to help save these clubs ? They are, after all, longstanding sporting institutions and play a big part in their respective communitites.

Stig wrote

Greedy, greedy players!I dont care what u do, no one is worth £50k a week to do anything!If te clubs are stupid enough to pay it, I am darned tootin the players are stupid enough to take it I have said it before, and no doubt will say it again, football REALLY is the new religion for the unthinking masses.It is a grade A opiate and sop which allows the unfulfilled life an ounce of hope in a harsh world

adamski wrote

I have said it before, and no doubt will say it again, football REALLY is the new religion for the unthinking masses.It is a grade A opiate and sop which allows the unfulfilled life an ounce of hope in a harsh world

Grade A opiate ? In which case the NHS should step in.

so sad feel for the fans ,football threw& threw me but like alot of people said it is a business and should be run like one .like mine we are about 14 mill in red but i think we will pull out of it ,we have got some good people coming in business wize IMHO i think councils should sub football clubs good luck to B.C.F.C.

There's enough money sloshing around in football to rescue all the clubs that are at risk, and build a dozen Wemblys. The clubs and players that have their hands on it don't want to spread it round.If they don't give a fuck, why should we ?The reason the clubs aren't getting the money they expected from the TV rights is, nobody wants to watch.

The gravy train has just derailedSadly, it may mean the end for some old, historic and respected clubs. Sad waste of everything really.For my sins, I support the same club as blue owl, if less obviously . The club is massively in debt and I fear for the future, although I don't think it will disappear, unlike many of the smaller clubs there are enough people of money and influence who would never watch it slide into oblivionI understand the posts about business, but football ain't like a normal business and many forget that; sure it is when it comes to profit & loss, but when it comes to investment, people will chuck money at something they feel a tribal affinity for, regardless of the cost. If I had 20 million quid, I'd have no qualms in buying a seat on the board of Wednesday and giving them 5 mill of it, yes I know it's pathetic but having watched this club play football for over 25 years now, from the old Third division to the Premiership and now back by the skin of its teeth in the first, a number of losing cup ties and one memorable cup final victory over Man U, I'd bung loads of money their way - even though much of the cash has been pissed up the wall in the pastI'll shut up now but here's one tip for any board members of footy clubs; don't employ Trevor Francis as a manager, he's wank and will bankrupt you - HTH PS Used to watch Bradford play a lot when I lived there, sadly it seems the dizzy heights of the Premiership made them opverstretch themselves. I hope they survive

DG, I agree.Football is a passion and much more than a business.It bonds communities together.Bradford will feel a huge loss if City go underBradford Park Avenue were going under , years ago, so they merged with City, to ensure their future.wonder what the future brings ?

TWPD (not verified)

A shake-up is needed.Football wages are obscene, some people & clubs are making massive amount of money out of it whilst others are scrabbling for a living.Fans have been milked for years through paying stupid amounts for tickets and even more stupid amounts to cycnical marketers for crap clothing that is changed every season for summat else that's equally crap..and made for pennnies abroad.Frankly, I am surprised it has lasted this long and, sad though it is for a team like Bradford, privately I am laughing at the idiots that runs the sport - the whole edifice is coming down and they've only got themselves to blame. Full of prima donnas and fat greedy pigs making too much wedge.

Yeah, I know, but those who will suffer are the fans who may lose their teams, and the lower division players who don't make that much money at allI know blokes who play for Camridge United and the average wage there is under a grand a week. Not bad money you may think, but when your career only lasts 15 years tops you ain't gonna retire on itThese are the guys who will get it in the neck - the big money boys will hardly be touched

qwerty wrote

There's enough money sloshing around in football to rescue all the clubs that are at risk, and build a dozen Wemblys. The clubs and players that have their hands on it don't want to spread it round.

I read somewhere that Alan Smith of Leeds is putting some money into York City - another club who are really struggling. Some players have some heart

TWPD (not verified)

Very true DG...feel sorry for the lower divisions....if you think about it there's only a finite amount of money around the amount that the upper clubs and the Premiership commands is disproportionately large...now I am not party to the finance of the FA or these clubs but, istm that they have more than enough dosh to sort things out if they really wanted to.This £178m is a drop in the ocean if you look at the combined debts of the clubs - istm that ITV Digital are fitting the bill as convenient fallguys for summat that was gonna happen sooner or later. Anyone with have a degree of common sense cud have seen this coming years ago...all parties come to an end.

Some good points been raised so far about greed etc.But you have to feel for the fans & the communities

TWPD (not verified)

Well as usual the fans were forgotten and shat on years ago.

Dodgy Geezer wrote

Not bad money you may think, but when your career only lasts 15 years tops you ain't gonna retire on it

True they aint gonna retire on it but nor does someone chop their hands off when they finish. They should be investing well for the future when their football career finishes, plenty do.To pay wages like £63k pw to Boksic is obscene. That is THREE times the average national annual wage per annum BUT FOR A WEEK - FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!!I dont blame the players or their agents but the stupidity of the egotistical chairmen & managers who have let this get out of control. They are supposed to be astute businessmen in everyday life - MY ARSE. I do feel for true supporters and the towns & communities that it will affect but I do not have any sympathy with the idiots that put football in this predicament - its not all ITV Digitals fault.

Councils subsidise footie clubs??...FECK OFF!! Don't you think the money you are proposing would be better spent elsewhere? As for Lottery funding, if it ain't in London and it don't dont involve paintings/ballet/poncy stuff you wont get feck all.

just bought me sons season ticket 70 odish pound,which aint badconsidering the price of things today.wednesday are one of the big clubs, can not say they shoudn't be where they are now <wot do points make >but last year they did a lot of kids fer a quid home games & fivers. you might think wots a quid but alot of adults took their offspring so that makes say an extra 15 ish on ticket sales then revenue off a food. and it did bring quite a few extra thousand in.good business sense me thinks.

gremlin wrote

Councils subsidise footie clubs??...FECK OFF!! Don't you think the money you are proposing would be better spent elsewhere? As for Lottery funding, if it ain't in London and it don't dont involve paintings/ballet/poncy stuff you wont get feck all.

ok then ....councils and lottery funding

Follow Visordown

Latest Bike News

Crash Media Group
Visordown is part of the CMG Full Throttle Network© : welcoming over 3 million consumers each month