Blood Groups

88 posts / 0 new
Last post
Blood Groups

I'm O+. Do you know yours?

Is there any benefit in knowing your own blood group??

medical emergencies?i dont know mine though, should be a poll

Red

Olly wrote

Is there any benefit in knowing your own blood group??

Yes, you can do your own tranfusions at home and save the NHS some money

dinsey wrote

medical emergencies?

But would it really help? Would they believe you? What if you got it wrong, and they believed you and it killed you? Wouldn't they 'cross match' or whatever they call it (see, I've watched Casualty ) anyway?

Olly wrote

But would it really help? Would they believe you? What if you got it wrong, and they believed you and it killed you? Wouldn't they 'cross match' or whatever they call it (see, I've watched Casualty ) anyway?

Don't worry, mate, if you pass out before you're able to tell them your blood group I'll tell them for you.

O negative.I know this 'cos I'm a blood donor and the next session will be my 50th.Aren't you proud of me.

Good onya Skub,A+ for me and up to my 15th donation.From Dec to Mar they have the police/bikers challenge here,every donation you give can be pledged to either group,bikes have won a few times now.........is their something similar your side of the world?

blood group is Stella ,Kronenberg in fact any lager probally the best in the world:smoke:

Skub wrote

O negative.I know this 'cos I'm a blood donor and the next session will be my 50th.Aren't you proud of me.

You must have imploded by now!

Big Nige wrote

You must have imploded by now!

Bloody nice bloke.

i've absolutely no idea what group i am. bloody good (excuse the pun! ) work there skub. :smoke:

I'm B neg. I also donate - they usually send me a letter saying how much they need my blood and I feel all warm inside (Doesn't take much, eh? )

Skub wrote

Me too. Do you get the calls from the Blood service making sure you donate ?

AB negFor many years I had it stickered on my lid to give the ambulance/hospital a bit of warning. And I like them to keep a pint of my own in stock just in case I ever need it back

A+.[x] Should've been a poll.

Foxile wrote

Me too. Do you get the calls from the Blood service making sure you donate ?

Yep,and a letter.

A pos - know it from military stuff.Can't donate cos I've had cancer They won't let me.I wear a dog tag when I'm on my bike with my army number, blood group and name. I never wear it any other time (I'm not a nerd), just when I'm on my bike.Also carry a first field dressing. Very versitile and can hold a pint of blood if needed.

A Neg, quite rare apparently, but they won't let me donate either

HiAs I receive regular blood transfusions. Can I thank everyone for donating. You really do save life's as there is nothing known to man to substitute BLOOD. Those that do not currently donate, it's an ideal check-up each time you donate so it works both ways.www.blood.co.uk/Once again keep up the good work guys.Bomberman

ozbiker wrote

Good onya Skub,A+ for me and up to my 15th donation from Dec to Mar

You feelin' faint at all?

A -veI donate whole blood, just been asked if I will consider being a platelet donor, went for tests this week and they will tell me soon if I can donate platelets rather than whole blood.

leg-end wrote

A -veI donate whole blood, just been asked if I will consider being a platelet donor, went for tests this week and they will tell me soon if I can donate platelets rather than whole blood.

If you can, it's worth going on the bone marrow register too.

If I look in my wallet I'll know as me cards in there, its the first place the emergency dept will look once they get me in so I don't need to know off the top of my head, besides they will always check

I'm A Neg, and a blood donar, up to about 47 i think. I am also on the Anthony Nolan bone marrow register. Had a possible match once so they had to do another blood test, didn't match that time.

bomberman wrote

HiAs I receive regular blood transfusions. Can I thank everyone for donating. You really do save life's as there is nothing known to man to substitute BLOOD. Those that do not currently donate, it's an ideal check-up each time you donate so it works both ways.www.blood.co.uk/Once again keep up the good work guys.Bomberman

Just thought I'd highlight Bombermans post (no relation..honest !) as the Blood Transfusion service really need people to donate as they are nearly always short of donors, and blood does 'go off'.I've donated for years now and am happy to do it.I'm O+ which is the commonest here (yeah..appropriate I know ) but that also means it's the blood type most in demand.So if you can, you should, you never know when you might need a transfusion to save your life.

O neg.Can't give blood because I've had cancer - but it was giving blood that meant they found the cancer early.

B Pos

A Neg, got it written on my doggy tags

Skub wrote

me three........but I haven't donated nearly as much as that...............last time I arrived on the bike and they made me commit to not riding home...............like I was going to be up to pushing the bike 4 miles home....

Another O-neg, 40 donations so far.Our blood goes into unborn babies y'know. Proper posh.

Another O positive here I'm only up to 7 or 8 donations though - last time I tried to donate I told them I had a high platelet count and she told me to go away till I know why, the time before that was fine, but the time before that I had low iron Bah humbug - I am trying tho

Olly wrote

I'm O+. Do you know yours? Is there any benefit in knowing your own blood group??

O- but HIV+ .

I'm :x Meerkat positive

O+ haven't been back cos I had a tat but keep meaning to donate again

B+ and I've given 3 times now. Can't give again till September, though.

A Neg

A posbut i cant give blood cos every time they come near me with a syringe i faint and my blood pressure drops so low they cant get more than a few cc`s out

Olly ...Stick a poll on this will ya .... I wanna see if there's anyone else out there that matches me

A neg here, next donor session will be my 27th.

fazerdaze wrote

Olly ...Stick a poll on this will ya .... I wanna see if there's anyone else out there that matches me

No, would be the dullest poll in the world! Was more interested in a discussion on the benefits of knowing your blood group...

O Pos,No real advantage to knowing IMO - unless you want to be sad and write it on your helmet a la Dakar riders.I'm allergic to penicillin, so I carry a tag with that on, my name and my blood group.I doubt it's actually very useful though.

Olly wrote

No, would be the dullest poll in the world! Was more interested in a discussion on the benefits of knowing your blood group...

Ha ha, doesn't benefit me at all ... chances are, the only time I'm ever likely to need any I'm gonna be in no fit state to tell them which group I am anyway .. which is exactly why I had it written on my lid for years!

kwik wrote

A Neg, quite rare apparently, but they won't let me donate either

hey, are you me?I can't donate because the only time I lived on Monkey Island was during foot+mouth - which they can't screen for here.Shame really - because a pint or two of A-neg goes down quite nicely.

fazerdaze wrote

Ha ha, doesn't benefit me at all ... chances are, the only time I'm ever likely to need any I'm gonna be in no fit state to tell them which group I am anyway .. which is exactly why I had it written on my lid for years!

But would they take any notice? What if someone else had borrowed your helmet, for example?

I suppose there's no intrinsic value in knowing your blood group in terms of emergency treatment in the UK.Should you (and I hope no one here ever does) need blood in an emergency, the fact that you have your blood group on a dogtag or tattoo etc. would not be relied upon by the receiving hospital. It is not a risk that can be taken, as transfusion of blood of the wrong group can be fatal, and indeed has been in a number of cases throughout the UK over recent years (in fact, the biggest risk from a transfusion is being given the wrong blood - usually due to human error - but that's a whole different story).In the case of absolutely life threatening bleeding, you could be given up to two units of emergency 'O negative' uncrossmatched blood. This is simply a time buying exercise until your blood sample (taken on admission) is analysed, after which 'group specific' blood can be issued. This takes about 10 minutes, and as the name implies, it is 'specific' to your blood group, i.e. A+, B- etc.This however would not be cross-matched.(Cross-matching, in its simplest form, means that some of your serum from the aforementioned blood sample is mixed with some of the cells from the donated blood unit, then observed for abnormal reactions. In reality, it's a bit more sophisticated than this in most UK hospitals nowadays, with all the modern reagents and electronics).As part of the cross-matching process, an antibody screen is also performed. This can detect some of the other blood groups / antibodies that can potentially cause problems (such as Rhesus, Kell, Duffy, Kidd etc.); you are more likely to have certain antibodies if you have been previously transfused, or have had pregnancies. Time for the full crossmatching process will vary from lab - to - lab depending upon machinery & reagents used etc., but in ours it takes about 30 - 40 minutes.Knowledge of your blood group, therefore, may not make a great deal of difference in peacetime UK. However, in so-called 'third world' countries, or on the battlefield, it may help comsiderably.

Nice post, AA, thanks

A+can't donate cos I keep passing out.

Olly wrote

But would they take any notice? What if someone else had borrowed your helmet, for example?

Hit-nail-head. That's exactly why all the tests would be done anyway, rather than relying on patient-supplied information; there's too much risk of error.

AB- Rarer than a very rare thing. Donated in the past, but not for a while, and I'm too old now I think

A Rh Negative for me.Got my silver badge/donation card a while ago, so probably about 30 donations so far

Follow Visordown

Latest Bike News

Crash Media Group
Visordown is part of the CMG Full Throttle Network© : welcoming over 3 million consumers each month