Arai Condor or Shoei XR1000?

1 to 20 of 69 messages
24/04/2007 at 17:46
I'm stuck. After much fannying around, I've decided that my head (somehow) fits both an Arai and a Shoei, despite everyone saying its a one or the other type thing.

It's now down to two helmets; Arai Condor or Shoei XR1000 (or possibly a Raid 2). Both fit equally well (perhaps the Arai feels a little "plusher" inside, the Shoei having firmer cheek pads) but thats it.

I don't suppose anyone had owned/ridden with both, have they? Cos now it comes down to things that you can only really tell after a ride - noise, venting, misting, long-term comfort, etc.

Arai Condor is slightly more comfortable inside (but only very slightly), but only has a single vent so might get a bit hot/misted up. Also been told the plastic side pods make visor swaps harder, can crate excessive wind noise, are easily broken, and costly to replace? It does look cool in the St George's Cross (£250) graphics though:

Shoei XR1000 is a nicer shape (I like the spoiler ), better peripheral visibility and seems to have better venting front and rear, but the inside isn't quite as plush as the Condor and I cant find a colour/graphic I really like. The best is the Patriot, at £315 minimum, which is £65 over budget:

So which would you go for, or who has what? Sorry to be a pain, but I don't wanna have to buy a third helmet so need to get this right.

Cheers.

"You can't come to work drunk, you're not airline pilots...!"

24/04/2007 at 17:48
i said to give me a ring at rex judd's 0207 328 7659 about lunch time we will sort you out a price.
ask for john of alex in clothing

http://www.technomoto.co.uk/ 15% discount to VD members 0207 328 7659(ring for a nice price)

MOTOPHYSHO The best bike service workshop in the city(london) 0207 837 0444 as for keith.

ebay shop is cbbuzzer, http://stores.ebay.co.uk/cbbuzzer_W0QQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247

24/04/2007 at 18:22
i have the condor. What i like is the great fit (for me). Superb comfort, but this is a very individual thing. I also like the pinlock option which works great, no misting with a pinlock insert. What i don't like is the visor removal system which takes a bit of practice and feels like something is gonna break. Also, the lining is not removable and is stuck to the inside with very flimsy glue. Noise is average for me but i always wear earplugs so is not an issue.
24/04/2007 at 18:22
get the arai.

shoei's are for people who can't afford an arai

Adam K
msn - adamkendal@hotmail.com
Husband of - Fallen Angel (1st wife) and Spitfire (reserve wife)
SNSG#333, YU#41, VDP#3, WME#500/1, TIT#193/B, SPIC#167/70
24/04/2007 at 18:24
arai condor

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Wishing my missus was as dirty as my bike.
twat #69
24/04/2007 at 18:25
egypt220 wrote
i said to give me a ring at rex judd's 0207 328 7659 about lunch time we will sort you out a price.
ask for john of alex in clothing

Will do, but still trying to decide on which helmet! Are you John or Alex btw?

divvyboy wrote
i have the condor.

Cheers for the opinions. I do find the Condor very comfy but, being a "base" model, it does lack some vents and removable linings, and the visor system doesn't look as simple as the XR1000's.

24/04/2007 at 18:27
Adam K wrote
get the arai.

shoei's are for people who can't afford an arai

But I can afford an Arai, albeit a base one, just not sure its as good as the Shoei's!! Both the XR1000 and Raid 2 scored better (61/65 and 60/65 respectively) than the Condor in the RiDE test, which scored the same as my current Shark RSF2 Race (56/65).

cidered666 wrote
arai condor

Why do you say that?

24/04/2007 at 18:27
Those Arais look 50 years old compared to the Shoei

I've had 3 XR1000s I think and reckon they're great. Can't fit into an Arai so can't really comment but I hate helmet snobbery and it only really affects Arai owners so I'd probably stick to Shoei given the choice anyway.
24/04/2007 at 18:33
I've had a astro R and my XR1000 is better. Like you both seemed to fit well enough but the arai did squash my nose a bit in windblast at silly speeds. The shoei has more room in that area.

The only shit bit on the shoei is the mouth vent. It doesn't work very and is a cunt to clean. Other than that and seeing as they both fit you I'd get the shoei if only for the better visor system. Not only is changing visors much less hassle but it's opening mechanism is toothed so it sits slightly open quite happily should you wish it to. Something my old arai didn't do.
24/04/2007 at 18:35
Shoei every time out of those two, Arai are the noisiest helmets I've ever owned. I've just bought a shark for the first time, so far a match for the shoei

I have enough bikes thanks
24/04/2007 at 18:36
crashtest wrote
I've had a astro R and my XR1000 is better. Like you both seemed to fit well enough but the arai did squash my nose a bit in windblast at silly speeds. The shoei has more room in that area.

The only shit bit on the shoei is the mouth vent. It doesn't work very and is a cunt to clean. Other than that and seeing as they both fit you I'd get the shoei if only for the better visor system. Not only is changing visors much less hassle but it's opening mechanism is toothed so it sits slightly open quite happily should you wish it to. Something my old arai didn't do.

Aaaah, great stuff! So the Shoei is the better all round option? The more I look at it, the more keen I am on the Patriot colourscheme as well! I'vr got it down to £270 so far at a local shop, but I know some people have paid £200 for theirs!!

Think the XR1000 is in the lead....!

24/04/2007 at 18:38
Couch Commando wrote
Shoei every time out of those two, Arai are the noisiest helmets I've ever owned. I've just bought a shark for the first time, so far a match for the shoei

Oh really? Cos although I wear ear plugs for lnog motorway slogs and such, I'd prefer not to have to use them every day, so the quieter the helmet the better!

To be fair, my Shark RSF2 Race was a great helmet, just too big and now I fancy a change.

So, another vote for Shoei!

P.S Went over to J&S today to try a few on - seemed ok!

24/04/2007 at 18:40
MickyC wrote
Aaaah, great stuff! So the Shoei is the better all round option? The more I look at it, the more keen I am on the Patriot colourscheme as well! I'vr got it down to £270 so far at a local shop, but I know some people have paid £200 for theirs!!

Think the XR1000 is in the lead....!

Just buy a fucking helmet now you annoying spazmong
24/04/2007 at 18:41
MickyC wrote
I'vr got it down to £270 so far at a local shop, but I know some people have paid £200 for theirs!

200 is normal for plain colours. All lids get ludicrously expensive once you start applying garish stickers
24/04/2007 at 18:43
I've tried both, and would go for the Shoei, far better vents (to the point that it feels like someone's running their fingers through you hair) and a much quieter lid because they don't have the sidepods......
24/04/2007 at 18:43
I've got a Condor. As has been said, they are pretty noisy, but I also wear earplugs, so it doesn't bother me. The visor change thing is a knack; once you 've cracked it (not literally! ) it's a 2 second job. If you're clumsy it *is* possible to break the side covers, though. lining non-removeable. but then, I reckon by the time your lining is manky, it's time for a new helmet anyway.
24/04/2007 at 18:44
Why not another Shark if they fit nicely? I'm really pleased with my new one and it was nearly £100 less than the Shoei I'd tried on the day before (the Shoei's are lovely too, just a little bit more than I wanted to pay!).

http://www.btinternet.com/~tonyhathaway/Grib/848sig_trc.jpg

24/04/2007 at 18:45
my new shark with built in black visor was £150 complete with naked ladies

I have enough bikes thanks
24/04/2007 at 18:48
I wear an XR1000, wife has the Condor. Chosen 'cos they're both excellent helmets, and Shoei fits me, Arai fits her. It really isn't going to spoil your life whichever one you choose. If they genuinely both fit properly (which I'm a bit surprised at), then go by price and/or aesthetic appeal.
24/04/2007 at 18:51
get the one that fits and feels good.

blah blah blah etc etc......

1 to 20 of 69 messages