Anyone built their own guitar amp?

16 messages
30/06/2007 at 21:08
Hi,

I've got a solid-state Marshall amp that's knackered...something got spiled on it (I think), and now it's gone totally nuts and sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, sometimes just buzzes...makes a funny smell too.

Anyway...the speaker unit (12" - not sure of the rest of the spec) and cabinet fine, as are the knobs and sockets and what not. I was gonna chuck it, but I thought I might have a bash at knocking up my own amp.

Anyone here done it? How hard is it? I can solder, and I know a few bits about electronics...as alot of you probably know I'm the sort of person who can pick up the theory quickly if nothing else..

The Man in Pink
T'was Mr. Dazzle, he IS the Mr. T of us lot. - Irn Bru Freak
30/06/2007 at 21:21
Curently got a ECC83 one valve amp going - working on the reverb.

There's loads of plans etc on the web - I'll post up a few makers of the bits you need to buy (transformers, speakers and the like) when I can find them...

An aide memoir regarding Roadkill:-
If you can't eat it in one sitting don't run over it.
Vines BMW Nemesis Service under test

30/06/2007 at 21:23
Mate of mine did. It was back in 1974, so not a lot of help really

Sorry

Yawn! It's wearing a little thin now, don't you think?

Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.

Launchcast Cradley_Kawasaki

onli mrns Us txt spk
30/06/2007 at 23:37
I understood that Marshall UK carried spares for all their amps - might be cheaper to just fix it?

---------------------------------------------------

"I was happy in the Hayes of a drunken hour..........."
01/07/2007 at 00:36
ok i presume its a 1x12 combo.
you say its solid state.
so its probably worth the thin end of fuck all.
if it didnt say marshall then worth even less.
tell us what the amp is.
as has been said there are many diagrams out there to build your own propper valve amp that will do everything you want.
if you know what you are doing you could make an amp that would cost you £500 for under £100.if you are a bit crap you could make an amp that just gets hot and makes a loud buzzing sound.
what are you after and how much effort are you going to put in?
01/07/2007 at 01:42
if summat got spilled on it, which mine has in the past, yank out the plug in connections and clean them on the amp, dont forget to unplug the fucker first tho

could also be crappy leads or your guitar

try a different guitar and leads and see what happens with the amp

I would suspect its the guitar, check the connections from a new lead to guitar, Marshall amps need a good kicking to fuck em up, its prolly a simple thing like a crap lead or a pickup on the guitar thats gone loose

HTH
01/07/2007 at 08:50
oooh, whilst we're on this subject I've an 30W solid state acoustic amp with a really poor reverb function. Spring job on the bottom. Any of you clever bodgers suggest a modified plan for this, or failing that, a maker of a halfway decent reverb spring please?

© Editor in perpertuity-so git yr chawing hands orf moi words or ask nicely.

01/07/2007 at 08:58
If you don't use one of these, then you are an amateur who needs to take up another hobbie.

Yours for £10k.
01/07/2007 at 09:01
'kin 'ell.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumble_Amplifiers

none on ebay..!

01/07/2007 at 09:36
editor wrote
'kin 'ell.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumble_Amplifiers

none on ebay..!

I have one here you can try

Well a good builder use's quality tools. My Amps and Guitars are my work tools
01/07/2007 at 10:11
Mr. Dazzle wrote
Hi,

I've got a solid-state Marshall amp that's knackered...something got spiled on it (I think), and now it's gone totally nuts and sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, sometimes just buzzes...makes a funny smell too.

Anyway...the speaker unit (12" - not sure of the rest of the spec) and cabinet fine, as are the knobs and sockets and what not. I was gonna chuck it, but I thought I might have a bash at knocking up my own amp.

Anyone here done it? How hard is it? I can solder, and I know a few bits about electronics...as alot of you probably know I'm the sort of person who can pick up the theory quickly if nothing else..

To be honest, You're as well getting a JCM90... I always hated Marshall but I swapped a 7 string for a 900 head and I love it, All valve, All Marshall. you get get them for Peanuts on Ebay because everyone wants the JCM800 and earlier.

Mine is one of the first 900's and has had KT66 valves put in it instead of the usual EL34's. For what they're fetching you might as well just get a 'Proper' valve marshall and be done with it.

My 2p worth

Now with X-Box Live Tags "Johnny Mittens"

01/07/2007 at 10:38
Johnny Mittens wrote
To be honest, You're as well getting a JCM90... I always hated Marshall but I swapped a 7 string for a 900 head and I love it, All valve, All Marshall. you get get them for Peanuts on Ebay because everyone wants the JCM800 and earlier.

Mine is one of the first 900's and has had KT66 valves put in it instead of the usual EL34's. For what they're fetching you might as well just get a 'Proper' valve marshall and be done with it.

My 2p worth

I've just clicked on that wreckset link & followed over to your spot on myspace. WTF are those two on the youtube clip? That's just made the hairs on the back of my head stand up & my hand shake a bit.

Sorry about dissing your fav tipple-I bought some Jim Beam black in the end, thereby ignoring most of the advice..

01/07/2007 at 10:46
editor wrote
I've just clicked on that wreckset link & followed over to your spot on myspace. WTF are those two on the youtube clip? That's just made the hairs on the back of my head stand up & my hand shake a bit.

Which two? The guitars? That's me and Mikey... I'm the one with the Yankee's top on swearing at the engineer through the mic

The song is Exit Wound... It's on the player at the top, Albeit an older version.

editor wrote
Sorry about dissing your fav tipple-I bought some Jim Beam black in the end, thereby ignoring most of the advice..

Nae bother... not to everyones taste.

01/07/2007 at 11:28
Johnny Mittens wrote
Which two? The guitars? That's me and Mikey... I'm the one with the Yankee's top on swearing at the engineer through the mic

no, the Stairway one on your own page:

profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=12396897

Now stop talking & play music..you fucking gay :smoke:

I think that should go in your sig!

01/07/2007 at 11:33
editor wrote
no, the Stairway one on your own page:

profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=12396897

Now stop talking & play music..you fucking gay :smoke:

I think that should go in your sig!

Ah.... Thats Rodrigo y Gabriella... Fucking AWESOME spanish guitar duo from Mexico city. They have a MySpazz page... They do original material and covers of Led Zep and Metallica, Including a cracking version of Orion!

01/07/2007 at 13:03
wristjob wrote
ok i presume its a 1x12 combo.
you say its solid state.
so its probably worth the thin end of fuck all.
if it didnt say marshall then worth even less.
tell us what the amp is.
as has been said there are many diagrams out there to build your own propper valve amp that will do everything you want.
if you know what you are doing you could make an amp that would cost you £500 for under £100.if you are a bit crap you could make an amp that just gets hot and makes a loud buzzing sound.
what are you after and how much effort are you going to put in?

I know it's worth fuck all, which is why I'm not gonna fix it...I just thought it would be a bit of fun.

The Man in Pink
T'was Mr. Dazzle, he IS the Mr. T of us lot. - Irn Bru Freak
Your say
email image
16 messages