Any kickboxers here?

1 to 20 of 21 messages
tp
04/10/2005 at 21:33
Preferably in West london ....

I'm thinking of taking this up, or something similar .. early next year once my ankle has healed etc.

Any tips, hints, advice etc?

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian 'Nostradamus' Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989

HELP!!! Looking for a garage share or garage in Clapham Help!!!
04/10/2005 at 21:34
tp-996 wrote

Any tips, hints, advice etc?

aye stop trying to make up for all the things you couldn't do in your youth
tp
04/10/2005 at 21:36
R6 Rachie wrote
aye stop trying to make up for all the things you couldn't do in your youth

I'm not 30 for another 20 days!!!

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

04/10/2005 at 21:38
tp-996 wrote

I'm not 30 for another 20 days!!!

see nige that would have normally provoked a paddy, but he did a big smiley face, doesn't the retard realise he was being made fun of?
04/10/2005 at 21:41
Yes. Start off with Yoga and work your way up.

No. Really.

Screwd.

It's not necessary to tell me I'm right. Ever. We'll assume it. Nick Nolte, The Thin Red Line
tp
04/10/2005 at 21:43
Screwdriver wrote
Yes. Start off with Yoga and work your way up.

No. Really.

Screwd.

Yoga - interesting. Is that just to get more flexible?

04/10/2005 at 21:55
I do kickboxing, however not in london. Its an awesome hobby, although I dont have much advice to give (although I can help if you have any specific questions) apart from try to avoid getting punched, its not much fun...
04/10/2005 at 21:58
Jonny_RS wrote
I do kickboxing, however not in london. Its an awesome hobby, although I dont have much advice to give (although I can help if you have any specific questions) apart from try to avoid getting punched, its not much fun...

Getting hit is the most important thing you can experience! A) You'll try and avoid it again and B) You'll learn how to take a punch.

Yorick's Bike Testing Service Ltd
Silly Car's B&B Services

Billie - Chief Make Up Artist.....
Memorial Meet 2006 Photos http://www.kodakgallery.co.uk/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&localeid=en_GB&collid=71128439933&page=1&sort_order=0
04/10/2005 at 22:01
it is important, however it isnt much fun. i must say i have become rather proficient at taking them, as the bruises i got tonight prove
04/10/2005 at 22:08
Jonny_RS wrote
it is important, however it isnt much fun. i must say i have become rather proficient at taking them, as the bruises i got tonight prove

It gets easier with time, believe me

Yorick's Bike Testing Service Ltd
Silly Car's B&B Services

Billie - Chief Make Up Artist.....
Memorial Meet 2006 Photos http://www.kodakgallery.co.uk/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&localeid=en_GB&collid=71128439933&page=1&sort_order=0
04/10/2005 at 22:29
Depends on what shape you're starting from but Yoga is an isometric regimen and a very good place to start getting "fit". And yes, fitness starts with flexibility (imho), make sure the old creaking joints are well lubricated and "tone" your existing musculature before the stress of free fighting.

Nothing like a good scrap (from distant memory!) but free fighting is bloody knackering. Yes I am being serious, the more "fit' you are before you start, the less likely you are to get seriously injured or seriously injure yourself...

Screwd.

It's not necessary to tell me I'm right. Ever. We'll assume it. Nick Nolte, The Thin Red Line
04/10/2005 at 23:52
Screwdriver wrote
Depends on what shape you're starting from but Yoga is an isometric regimen and a very good place to start getting "fit". And yes, fitness starts with flexibility (imho), make sure the old creaking joints are well lubricated and "tone" your existing musculature before the stress of free fighting.

Nothing like a good scrap (from distant memory!) but free fighting is bloody knackering. Yes I am being serious, the more "fit' you are before you start, the less likely you are to get seriously injured or seriously injure yourself...

Screwd.

all he said - I did Thai Boxing/kickboxing for 9 years from 16-25 until i damaged my back quite badly in a bout. I was fairly supple as i had already been schoolboy boxing since 12 but I struggled.

A good three -six months of basic yoga postures will help enormously.

Why do you want to do kickboxing btw? to be any good, you have to be enormously fit. If you are are only average or 'above average' fitness-wise you may be better with a martial art such as judo, ju-jitsui or kung fu.

I'm scairt Pa!!
04/10/2005 at 23:59
Ms. KneeDragon is a kickboxer. She loves it. You should just go out and do it.

VD Personal Teenage Motivator
Sleepy time, and I lie, with my love by my side, and she's breathing low.
05/10/2005 at 06:33
KneeDragonR1 wrote
Ms. KneeDragon is a kickboxer. She loves it. You should just go out and do it.

what he said
05/10/2005 at 08:04
Try Krav Maga instead:

www.krav-maga.org.uk
05/10/2005 at 08:55
I sort of agree with Screwdriver. (Personally I do tai chi and Thai Boxing.)

Whatever you choose to do, you should start straight away. Firstly there's no point in choosing something now if you're not going to do it now - you could just as well wait until you were fit again and choose then. Secondly there's no need to let your whole body rot away while you wait for your ankle to mend.

If you go to the teacher and explain the nature of your ankle injury, they should be able to tell you what you can and cannot do in the class. They'll give you alternative exercises so you don't just stand around when the rest of the class is doing kicks (or whatever it is that you won't be able to do).

If someone came to my tai chi class in York who couldn't walk at all, we'd get their wheelchair in through the fire exit door and get them doing all the upper-body work and provide substitute excercises for the leg work.

I think, therefore I ride a motorbike
05/10/2005 at 09:15
I've been doing it for the last year of so...But I'm out of it at the moment with a damaged knee. Not the best endorsment

Don't know about other clubs but at mine we start off a 2 hour lesson with about 30-40 mins of aerobic stuff. Loads of jogging on the spot interspersed with different sets of push-ups...Gets the heart going.

Depending on the level of the lesson we have some sets on the heavy bag. 3 sets of 3 mins. 1 min light and fast, 1 min hard as you can, then light and fast again. Then a min break and onto the next set.

Then a load of sit-ups and then stretching.

After that the actual lesson begins. We either do sylabus for our next grading or we just do some routines. Depends.

Then some light sparing at the end.

I would say that it is really great fun. Gets you fit very effectively. Its better than the gym because its competitive, you push yourself to do better more than you would pounding a treadmill.

Its all taylored to your ability and the instructors will push you, but not into doing stuff you simply are not capable of.

The only advise I would give is do some aerobic stuff at home in fron of the tv got get warm and do some extra stretching. Make sure you are warm though! And don't over do it! But it really does help you kicks if you work on your flexibility outside of class...

Anyway, hope you enjoy it.

Pete
05/10/2005 at 09:25
Yep (well Thai Boxing) been doing it for about 3 years, missed about 2 months now due to bike crash and broken ankle
Never was much good at sports when i was young, so good to find somthing im good at now! (all that he bigger they are the harder they fall stuff is crap )

05/10/2005 at 09:59
Excellent video here about Kickboxing.

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/4;10714;109/st/20081225/e/Christmas+Day%21/dt/5/k/3241/event.png

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Taipan.png

tp
05/10/2005 at 16:41
Taipan wrote
Excellent video here about Kickboxing.

Fucker!

1 to 20 of 21 messages