Talkback: Should Triumph make a superbike?

1 to 20 of 53 messages
09/03/2012 at 15:31
No.
09/03/2012 at 15:51
It would require a significant investment in an unknown and highly competitive environment where all the "big boys" have been for decades.

In such an economic climate it would neither be viable nor prudent.

Stick to what you're exceptional at Triumph, and resist the temptation to get drawn into the money pit of no return.

Graham
09/03/2012 at 16:00
Hmmmm.... if recent history is anything to go by it would be a retuned 1200, made in Thailand and look a lot like a BMW. No thanks.
09/03/2012 at 16:23
No, they should not make a Superbike. The market for such bikes is shrinking and it needs to be backed up by a successful racing program otherwise the bike has no credibility in the motorcycling public's eyes.
Triumph have made a huge success out of ploughing their own furrow and this is what they should stick to.
09/03/2012 at 16:42
No, why make a bike for a shrinking market segment, perhaps you could argue brand loyalty, get somebody on a superbike and when they want to leave that segment they will stay with Triumph and buy a Tiger or the likes, this is what BMW did with the 1 Series car but in reverse !

If the superbike market was growing perhaps this would work, but not today, this would be madness and this article is nonsense.

Watch this space... new Triumph superbike launched 2013 just to make me look a dick :)
09/03/2012 at 16:45
No, for all the reasons AFKAN has given, although thoppa makes some positive points in favour of it.
09/03/2012 at 16:46
Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday.
They failed with the 675, why should they do better with a Superbike?
09/03/2012 at 17:25
Matec.....can you explain how they failed with the 675? Has the daytona 675 not been given rave reviews across the board since it was launched in 06......or am I missing something?
09/03/2012 at 17:29
Yes, they should!

Lack of race wins in World Supersport hardly affected sales of the 675 did it? What about the S1000RR in Superbike? That bike has yet to win a race but it hasn't stop them selling either. If they could make a road bike that was competitive in terms of engine performance and handling that sold for around about the same money as the offerings from the japanese factories there's no doubt in my mind it would sell well.
09/03/2012 at 17:44
Yes PLEASE! It'll have more chanracter and like be a looker too. and, gioven their performance lately, be right up there with the S1000RRs, RSV4s, and F41000s. What about a liter-class triple in a modified 675 frame? And they MUST race it in BSB AND SBK! Then provide the motor to CRT teams?
09/03/2012 at 17:47
YES THEY SHOULD!!!!

The Triumph Daytona is an amazing bike! It gets amazing reviews and even beat the Ducati 848 on a few test. So even if they only made 1,000 Triumph Daytona 1050 I would run out and buy one and so would all of the other triumph fans. Hell I'd buy it just so I had something that wasn't a CBR,R1,Gixxer, or Ninja.
09/03/2012 at 20:38
Id like to see Triumph do what they are so good and make a bike thats different and creates its own niche.... a big bore 675 would keep plenty of riders very happy...
10/03/2012 at 03:14
Yes! I want a triple superbike!
10/03/2012 at 04:24
I don't know about the viability of making a "superbike". I assume Visordown means something to compete at the 1,000 cc sportbike level. In that case, no I don't see any value in it. HOWEVER, some time ago I believe Triumph developed a bike to compete with the Hyabusa, et. al. It was about to go into production, right after the gentlemen's agreement in Europe not to build any vehicle that exceeds 300 kph. The story at the time was that Triumph hired a consultant who advised that they kill the project, citing costs of liability and the ire of the EC. Personally, if they're looking for something to do, I wish Triumph would stop building the Bonneville to a budget. Surely there is a market for a limited run of the retro bike with Ohlins, Brembos, sticky tires, etc. Just my $.02
MKU
10/03/2012 at 11:10
Sure they should... along with jetskis, lawnmovers and mopeds.

But seriously- They have found their spot. The biking population in Europe is ageing - whom the superbike and (fingers crossed) races won will appeal to?

The venture into BMW GS territory they just started makes so much more sense for me.
MKU
10/03/2012 at 15:46
If they do, they're gonna have their hands full. Yes, the Germans have come up with the S1000RR and the Italians with the RSV4 but both of those were built the other way around; build a superbike, and put lights, indicators and a tax disc on it. They can, because they have the experience in building race bikes. Aprilia from the Cube, RSV and the 125 and 250 2Ts and BMW from racing the HP2 Sport at Le Mans + having an almost infinite budget. I don't believe Triumph has that sort of knowledge or budget. Yes, they've ran the 675 in WSS. Fat load of good that did them... If they could, they should. Otherwise, why bother?
10/03/2012 at 17:04
No they should first conquer the 125 market with a scaled down 675, 3 cylinder 125 come on.............
11/03/2012 at 05:01
According to the FIM rules a Triple would have to be 1000cc. That suggests that it would struggle against 1000cc 4s and 1200 cc twins. In Supersport the 675 can at least foot it with the 600cc 4's but it does that with 75cc extra. The maths suggests that a superbike triple would have to be 1125cc to compete on equal footing. So Triumph would have two choices - fight a huge battle to get a completely new engine accepted under the rules or build a 1000cc 4. The latter would be silly since it would not play to the company's strength.
11/03/2012 at 09:28
Yes, Yes, Yes! There is a lot of negativity on this thread. Personally speaking, although I own a Ducati, I would simply love to have a beautiful Triumph super bike sitting beside it, in my garage.

The bike could use a tuned version of the Speed Triple angine, perhaps a 1050 Daytona? I believe it would have a similar market impact to the 675 and provide a refreshing, British alternative to Japanese and Italian bikes! It should look just like the design penned for PB magazine: interesting, angular, radical and sexy... just like its baby brother, the 675. Thinking back, the T595 was a beauty but by today's stanards it was a bit on the curvy and conservative side.

Please get with it Triumph!
11/03/2012 at 18:46
No, no Superbike (too many compromises and rules to adhere to like others already mentioned)...make it an Open Class Hyperbike (ala ZX-14, HAYABUSA, K1300S, etc)...also a HyperNaked spin off wouldn't hurt ala K1300R.

Make it Sprint RS comfy, spacious for 6'ft-ers like me, SPORTY looking and with LOTS of balls(Im sure the new 1215cc Triple can help there)...and don't u give us the LAME excuse of " the new 1215 engine is too heavy and slow revving Bull Manure"...what about the BIGGER Kawasaki 1441cc Beast ? I didn't hear Kawasaki making excuses...OR BMW or Suzuki.

It would be SO NICE to have another choice to those STINKIN Japanese and German I-4s.

Triumph, if ur gonna make xcuses save it for that useless Rocket III Dinosaur son of a Farm Tractor that u INSIST on keeping alive and sucking your blood(for what?! to say u have the biggest production engine?) AND LAME Sprint GT we got on the U.S.A. wich is neither a good sport or tourer bike for trying to please both camps.

Grow some Balls...AND DO IT. I look like a monkey &^%$ a football on top of any of the current 600 and 1000 bikes.
1 to 20 of 53 messages