Talkback: Should Triumph make a superbike?

21 to 40 of 53 messages
12/03/2012 at 01:19
Nope.. I don't see a triple ever being truly competitive when put up against a high performance four. What's the point.. Mr. Bloor isn't about to squander millions developing a motor/bike to compete with the current crop of liter bikes. It doesn't make good business sense.

There's no need for Triumph to participate in an egocentric dick measuring contest.

On the other hand.. Where's my 1200 Trophy!?..
12/03/2012 at 06:52
Listen up Triumph. Seriously, Listen up. I've ridden since 1973, owned about 20 bikes, and now own a 07 Speed Triple. Best, most enjoyable bike I've ever had. Don't waste time and energy going head to head with the Jap sportbikes. Who cares about sterile plastic injected molded appliances with the personality of a toaster. But if you shoe-horn a 1050 or bigger triple motor into a Daytona platform, I'd bite. I don't want or need a cookie-cutter sport bike like those ridden by pimple-faced mohawk helmeted kids who wouldnt know a apex if it bit them. Give us a torque monster big bore Daytona with some serious suspension. I would add a competition weeks pipe and have an absolute wonderful time riding something with some substance while the ambulance goes after Jr. Speed Racer who got seperated from his mohawk while stunting in a school zone. Triumph, if you stop Going Your Own Way - I'm afraid I'd have to go my own way.
Cheers.
Trpldog the Roulette Green Speedy
12/03/2012 at 11:14
I think they should keep doing what is obviously working very well.Privateer Triumph teams have had moderate success as independents and as said above without entering the "money pit" of a factory team seems it does not make much sense.In these times I would suggest a Triple/Triple R series with very limited tuning options perhaps to run alongside the likes of BSB events - hell even AMA as that is a big market for them. Keep racing simple, cost effective to enter and above all fun!
12/03/2012 at 11:32
No Triumph should not enter that arena. its too well covered and its shrinking.
But stick a sporty fairing on a Speed Triple, Like a big Daytona. Make it sexy, make it useful, keep it basic but not budget.
12/03/2012 at 12:02
Dont think its going to be accessible to the public if the triple format is adhered to... unless they go the way of the twins i.e. handling and tangible appeal trumps the boredom of the four.
12/03/2012 at 20:10
No. They do very well as they are and that market is oversubscribed anyway. Even if 99 per cent of owners would be better off with a 600, the litter bike market has more to do with horsepower bragging rights than real world use, which is what Triumph have always excelled at.
Not sure how anybody figures the 675 Daytona to be a failure. It's a brilliant bike.
Keep it real Triumph and leave the bull to the bullshitters.

Ah, Mr Stealth, I didn't see you there until you were gone.

12/03/2012 at 22:29

Triumph should stick to doing what Triumph are good at and keep making excellent bikes for it's customers which keep growing it's market share year on year. If that means developing new and interesting ways to make people part with their money for more 'retro' bikes like the Bonneville, and more Street bikes like the Speed and Street triples, and more do it all bikes like the new 800's then so be it.

I, for one, don't believe that their market is sportsbike based. A fact that can be borne out by the fact that their best selling bike was the Street Triple. A bike that, at one point, they simply couldn't make fast enough. And the new Tiger 800 and 800XC could see that change this year. None of these are race bikes but they are all extremely good bikes with a certain Triumph something which makes them appeal to the target market.

Also, if you take previous posters comments on the ever shrinking sportsbike market into account too, then they would be foolish indeed to make the huge investment needed to produce such a bike just to add it to an already oversubscribed sector. One which Honda - even without all of BMW's electrickery - still seem to clean up in.

98% of the time I'm right. Why worry about the other 3%.

13/03/2012 at 11:48
They are updating the Tiger 1050 to be more sporty now that they have the 1200 Explorer. With Adventure bikes currently selling better than sportsbikes I can't see how it would make much sense as the Tiger 1050 gives you touring options and in the right hands would match a sportstbike on the road. You just have to see how well the Multistrada is selling!
13/03/2012 at 13:29
At the moment, the 675 is more than enough bike for me. It has enough style, character, and performance so that when I replaced my previous 675 last year, there was only one choice, another 675.

Still, maybe I would keep one eye on a Daytona superbike, but probably leave it to the younger crowd (I am 37).
13/03/2012 at 13:47
I like Mike Gonzo's idea.

make a SPORTS tourer, NOT a sports TOURER, with a large calibre triple motor.

it makes perfect sense! large 3 cylinder motor, produces lots of lovely useable torque and gives a reasonable shunt up the arse when ya hit the power, much like kawasaki and suzuki have done with their big bore 4's.

only thing is, i reckon a triple would do it better than a 4. more torque, less screaming. thats what you need to make!

also i mights suggest a slightly machined out version of the 1215cc triple, maybe 1300cc?

and when you make this bike and the innevitable millions of pounds of revenue, i can take my 25% cut! :D
13/03/2012 at 14:35
Triumph do not need to waste money on such a project. They already have quite enough high powered bikes in the Speed Triple and Daytona models and it would be foolhardy to go spending more money on a bike that would have to stand up against the superbikes of Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki. At the end of the day superbikes are bought by a small few and anything Triumph produced would be bought by a very few Triumph die hards. they would be far better put to spending any developement money on smaller capacity machines in the 125, 250 and 350 bracket. Many years ago Triumph Meriden produced some really great bikes in this bracket. the Tiger cub [200cc] the Trail Blazer [250cc] and the Tiger 90 [350cc] it would be more meaningful if Triumph were to consider this market as there are far more riders who would benefit from having the choice of these capacity machines rather than the high priced, high powered crotch rockets that as previously said would only atract a very few buyers. there is a yawning gap in the bike market since all the big Japanese manufacturers stopped making low to middle range bikes. With fuel costs rocketing and the cost of insuring high powered bikes going the same way a selection of small to medium capacity bikes would be a good idea. Come on Mr. Bloore, how about it?
13/03/2012 at 14:50
Not in the current economic climate. Triumph already have a massive range of bikes and look to be concentrating their efforts where the sales are to be had. The sports bike market is struggling at the moment while the Adventure bike sales increasing. No doubt the situation will change at some stage and maybe then would be the time.

I would like them to make one when sales of sports bikes pick up as I think they would be able to take a good slice of the market. Support British.
13/03/2012 at 15:17
Yes! Then take the fairing off and put fatbars on it.
13/03/2012 at 19:35
I totally disagree with AFKAN that Triumph should not compete in a market where the 'big boys' have been for decades!! So the 600 market was a pushover for the Daytona 675 to take on eh?? No, that was the hardest market imaginable for Triumph to take on, but take it on it certainly did, and let's be honest, it didn't do too badly, ........... did it?? Now don't get me wrong, the question is, "should Triumph make a superbike?". Well, I don't profess to know the answer to that question, however, I do know one thing, if Triumph do make a superbike, it'll be good, damn good ...... that I do know!!
13/03/2012 at 19:38
I totally disagree with AFKAN that Triumph should not compete in a market where the 'big boys' have been for decades!! So the 600 market was a pushover for the Daytona 675 to take on eh?? No, that was the hardest market imaginable for Triumph to take on, but take it on it certainly did, and let's be honest, it didn't do too badly, ........... did it?? Now don't get me wrong, the question is, "should Triumph make a superbike?". Well, I don't profess to know the answer to that question, however, I do know one thing, if Triumph do make a superbike, it'll be good, damn good ...... that I do know!!
'BillyBonny'

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/features/should-triumph-make-a-superbike/20268.html#ixzz1p1lGOOqe
13/03/2012 at 21:16
Did"nt they make one way back ,as i recall the "BONNY" was the benchmark for years .do they need to prove any thing and if so ,to who? A dedicated off roader would make more sense as that would not break the bank but may just be interesting and affordable they already have the motor ,no fancy gadgets bare minimum mud plugger Happy days..Proper paint job ,,union jack and all that ..
13/03/2012 at 22:45
They should make a 1200 sports tourer first.
14/03/2012 at 05:09
I can only agree with Peter Cakes. A modern day Tiger Cub would make an excellent commuter bike and this is how the Japanese made their money to support a racing team & develop their superbikes.
There is a massive market (especially India with their British brand loyalty), for a small, simple, user friendly bike which brings in the revenue needed to develop a superbike for what is after all a niche market. ie: Us nutters.
14/03/2012 at 07:50
I am 58 and not planning on getting rid of my Daytona 675 anytime soon.
14/03/2012 at 11:04
Do they need to make a superbike? No

Would I like to see a Triumph superbike? Yes

I fear though that should they take the plunge and it has a negative reaction on launch then the reputation they have created over the past 10 years will be severely dented. Everything they touch right now takes them to the top, or very close to the top, of the class.

You have to ask why they would risk that just for an even brighter halo than they one they currently wear.

The Daytona 675 is a fantastic bike - and is everything I wouldn't want in a bike. But it is just brilliant to ride.

I'll stick with my Speedy 1050 and Tiger 955i thanks.

Honda's, Yam's, Italian beauties ... I've had 'em but nothing gives me satisfaction like the sensory overload of a triple howl closely followed by the shots put through you on the overrun ...

http://www.visordown.com/members/images/97685/Gallery/Union_Flag_and_Bike.jpg

21 to 40 of 53 messages