Talkback: Rossi: 'I can't ride this Ducati'

1 to 20 of 53 messages
10/04/2012 at 13:28
how long before he jumps ship ?

but who to?
10/04/2012 at 13:31
Gees...seems that Rossi might be getting close to breaking point with Ducati. I must say, the sport seems all the poorer for this situation with the former champ and Ducati. The Aussie in me says "see, it just shows how damn good Stoner is that he rode the Duc so successfully" - but then I really want to see Rossi performing as great as I know he can, the prospect of him bowing out of MotoGP on the back of such poor performances is very saddening (but I think it's becoming more and more likely).
10/04/2012 at 13:44
how long before he jumps ship ?

but who to?
10/04/2012 at 14:06
I know this shows Casey in a good light but it's also about riders matching machines and their styles complementing. Do we really think Rossi is a poorer rider than Nicky? I doubt it. I could imagine Vale retiring before the season is out.... well, no, not after the recent quotes from a certain Roman....
10/04/2012 at 14:07
Ducati need to replace that CF swingarm with an alumimium one, and run the same as everyone else. If they had problems with it for the frame it seems strange you would not suspect the swingarm may be contributing to their handling woes.

They could also play around with some ballast in testing before considering repositioning the engine.

And Valentino, I can help you get back your edge, but I don't know how to contact you - seriously.
10/04/2012 at 14:21
Rossi to WSB then BSB, can't wait.
10/04/2012 at 14:28
Everyman and his dog has an opinion on this, some are sensible, some are just people trolling. At the end of the day, it's simply not fucking working. I still say Bologna have heard everything the team have told them, and some of it they've taken on board. And some they've not. It's the stuff they've not that is causing the problems (I think).

They are still clinging to the spectre of Stoner. And it's going to cost them, massively.

Until such a time as Bologna start to listen, I'm not going to bother anymore, this has taken up well over a year of my life bike racing wise. And I'm not prepared to devote anymore time to it. The bikes shit, end of, it needs a DRASTIC rethink (again).
10/04/2012 at 14:46
The Ducati has been a career killer but to kill the career of the greatest of all time? Who would want to be on that bike in the future..?? Lots of riders flocked to Ducati hoping the Rossi Burgess magic would deliver them a great bike but when current contracts expire no-one will want to sling a leg over it.

Aspiring riders from junior classes won't want to go near it and Ducati's future in MotoGP will be very bleak...
10/04/2012 at 14:46
It think better ducati listen to rossi demand. They are always make a new chasis and design but...remember..not all design and suit to rider like rossi. Let wait what the ducati comment on it
10/04/2012 at 14:50
The 800 bike even ruined the Moto GP Career of Marco Melandri, Ducati said it was all in his head!!!
Don't see them trying that shit with Vale.
Really hope they sort it soon!
10/04/2012 at 14:55
Exactly Marco was (and still is, class).
10/04/2012 at 15:02
I was musing over the weekend just gone. That the Honda was having issues (or at least everyone else apart from Stoner) seemed to be having issues with the Honda during qualy....#justsaying..
10/04/2012 at 16:07
I can't say other than it seems like Ducati trying hard. The Ducati 990 had a big issue with the engine being too long and the front wheel touching the valve covers and radiators under braking. The 800 solved that problem with the smaller engine, but the engineers reached a point where they couldn't find ways of making the trellis-framed bike better. So the went for the carbon frame in order to save weight, and balance the bike more controlled with weights instead. Problem is that a certain frame flexibillity sideways is crucial to front grip in deep turns. Honda and yamaha have worked allot with frame flex. read: "MotoGP Technology - Neil Spalding"
The reasoning behind the carbon frame, I don't know, but it didn't work good enough. Then the cc went up again, and Ducati got back the old bugger of a too long engine. They had a crappy frame and a too long engine. They had to rethink and went for an alu-chassis for the flex, and tilted the engine backwards for space(I suspect they even put the rear spring under the engine, put I dodn't know this), finally ending up with some sort of a Honda. Honda have had V4 and alu frame forever, Ducati tries first time.

Time will show. Let's hope the soon new owners has more money than Honda...
10/04/2012 at 16:16
Soooo, whos got money on the super sic tribute team appearing befor the end of the season, running a satalite honda with a certain Mr Rossi onboard?

Sooner he walks away from ducati the better if you ask me.
10/04/2012 at 16:23
I said I wasn't doing this.......bugger.

Really good points made there Ole. This evolution of the engine HAS been tilted back, but, listening to the omnipitent sage that is Neil Spalding over this weekend, it looks like Bologna still have a VERY long way to go with setting the "V" in the correct place. It's been moved back, there's no doubt about that, but, it's still using the 800 config (cases etc) apparently. And in order to work out where it needs to be with a 1000 it's gonna take more time. The ONE thing Ducati don't appear to have an awful lot of right now..

Yes, it's their first departure into a conventional frame, and FTR are doing all they can. But I can't help thinking there's still some pigheadedness coming out of the factory along the lines of "Stoner made it work"...

The problem I have is that it simply makes no difference what they do, it will not do what VR wants it to. I've no doubt they are all working VERY hard. And thats the real kicker..
10/04/2012 at 16:31
S'a good point mobus. Won't happen though. As said above, who on earth is gonna want a Duke after this?

That and VR is no quitter....
10/04/2012 at 17:16
Everytning Neil Spalding has said about the Ducati appears to be right. If Spalders can see the issues and he's been banging on about them for the last couple of years, why can't Ducati.Spalders, even said before the race that he thought the engine and it's positioning and crank case size etc, were as much of a problem as the chassis, others here have alluded to it. Maybe in estoril we will see a new engine and postion. We will ahve to wait and see. The problem is that there has been next to no developement time for this bike. So Hayden and Rossi are only really testing at the moment. Barbera at least has a little consistancy with what he road at the end of last year.
10/04/2012 at 17:18
He takes the money to represent the brand.
(HUGE, MEGA MONEY)

No loyalty.
10/04/2012 at 18:06
I'd took the Pagik oath and said I'd leave this one alone for a bit as well, but hell, I'm gonna bite.

Until Ducati drop the corporate mantra and the well Stoner could win on it, they're not going to put it on the podium, it's that simple.

Rossi isn't past it, you don't loose talent and 33 is no age, look at Carlos in WSBK. I do think he's had a massive knock on his confidence though, and I think the only thing that will get it back if having a bike under him that he and his team can work with.

I questioned why when the testing rules were relaxed why they didn't go out and run laps on the bike and suss it out, now I think I know it's because the team realized it's pointless as input had been ignored and there was no one it'd get up front.

The word on twitter seems to indicate a new iteration of the chassis, a changed swingarm and a possibly new motor are coming in the upgrade pack, if that happens, and if the parts are good then maybe they'll fix it. I think spalders is spot on, and if they close that L/V maybe they can get the weight where they need it.

The problem they now have though is Yamaha and Honda are so close, neither will stand still, so they've got that gap to close plus the gap to catch whatever Honda/Yam do next.

I do think though, if they do get a bike out that doesn't oversteer, responds to setup and has reasonably good rear grip, a bike that'll get Vale around 4-6th on the grip, he'll smell blood and ride again, until then, he's not going to lay it on the line for 5th or 6th.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, anyone that thinks a MotoGP bike correlates to a companies road bike (at least these days) needs a good firm head inspection. I don't see Honda bringing out a V4 Blade anytime soon, has it stopped people buying repsol reps? nope, not at all.

I also now feel, if Ducati can't get this right, they'll never get the top riders wanting to ride on it, they'll always be the 3rd choice for a top rider. I think Ducati and Rossi and Co are stronger together, both really need each other at the moment, and together they might still be able to do something special.

Spalders has mentioned, on several occasions that Ducati are on a development plan, and it is far from complete, it'll take time. The big question at the moment is if they're actually going to repack that engine. If they choose not to, short of putting the rider on the tank, they're screwed. I really hope they get it sorted, not just for Vale, but for Ducati and the other riders that'll ride the bike in the future.
10/04/2012 at 18:33
Dude, you can contact him on his Facebook page or you can twitter him/management.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Valentino-Rossi-Che-Spettacolo/180332648665690
1 to 20 of 53 messages