Talkback: Double-amputee completes first race

5 messages
13/09/2012 at 15:47
Another impressive and humbling story is this one, about Alan Kempster. A double-amputee, Mr. Kempster lost his right-arm and right-leg after a tragic accident, which saw a drunk driver hit Alan while he was riding his motorcycle.

Alan finally convinced his local motorcycle racing league to let him compete. He won his very first race.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/left-side-story-alan-kempster/#more-34665
13/09/2012 at 16:08
Amazing people and inspiration to us all.
14/09/2012 at 09:48
well done those people :-)
16/09/2012 at 12:04
Awesome.
19/09/2012 at 04:26
The Bike Experience is a charity which helps motorcyclists who have been paralysed or otherwise disabled experience the thrill of getting back on a bike again in a controlled and safe environment.

It is the brainchild of Talan Skeels-Piggins, a self-confessed adventure addict, who found himself paralysed from the mid chest down after a motorcycle accident in 2003.

Talan thought it was impossible to ride again, but then a ‘light bulb’ moment meant he thought he would give it a go.

You can't keep a good man down and in July 2009 Talan finally got back on a bike, a Suzuki GSXR1000K6 adapted, thanks to the work of several different people.

Now Talan, who also inspires others as a motivational speaker, wants to share his knowledge with others who want to get back in the saddle and he has bought and adapted a fleet of bikes to do just that.

Talan, Russ, Graham and the Launch Crew run regular track sessions, showing other paralysed/injured bikers that they can still enjoy the thrill of riding two wheels. 

With the co-operation of Castle Combe Circuit, a safe and steady route back into biking has been developed.

Talan says: "“I never thought after my accident I would ever feel the adrenaline rush of being able to ride again, but The Bike Experience definitely proved me wrong!"

And in the words of Dan Edwards, a Bike Experience rider who took part in June 2011:

“After getting back to the pit lane, reaching a whopping 113 mph on my last lap, I had a grin ear to ear under that helmet of mine, which stayed there for days after.”

These guys do an amazing job getting disabled riders (including another Afghanistan double amputee) back on two wheels. Please check out The Bike Experience on Facebook or at www.tbex.co.uk.
Your say
email image
5 messages