struggling to get my knee down...

7 messages
22/09/2010 at 22:21

have been riding for about 7 months on a full licence, 2 years in total including provisional now.. got myself a 94 vfr 750 f and ive owned 2 400's in the past (didnt get rid of em due to crashing, i got bored ) ...

but ive always struggled to get my knee down!, sometimes on a dry day i will go to a quiet roundabout and practice.. i can get a good few inches from the ground... but i really cant seem to get any further without feeling unstable.

i dont feel i ride twisted round corners... i hang off with half a cheek and lean my upper body into it as well... but i must be going wrong somewhere... any advice on how to do it?? cheers

rgo
22/09/2010 at 23:55

Enduro44,

Let Niall Mackenzie help you out, check out these guides:

There are more guides to help your riding here

rgo
23/09/2010 at 02:25

Go to you tube and you'll find a good instruction video by some guy from some magazine with guys on a roundabout. It might be an MCN piece? Very good instruction.

Its all about body position (and a little speed and lean). Don't think you have to lean the bike more and more. Yes you need a certain amount of lean, but the whole point of getting off the bike is so you don't have to lean so much. Keep leaning it over to a point beyond where you feel comfortable and you'll tense up and then youre shot.

But really my friend. Get off the road and go to a track, putting your knee down on the road is a recipe for disaster. Yes you may see people do it, and all hero worship to them, but to get your knee down you have NO margin for error. On the road you NEED margin for error, or one day you WILL die, and we dont want that. England is blessed with race tracks, please use them, please. Roads are not the place for cowboy capers (unless you're Ghost Rider, do a you tube search on that too, he is an extremely highly experienced talented rider and you must not try and ride like him)

And finally have patience. It will come. Don't force it! Dont think you are no good and not a real man (or woman). It will come. The first time you do it will also scare the shit out of you, its a rather odd feeling, but you'll love it. And remember you can still ride very fast without putting your knee down at all. (I've never seen ghost rider do it at all in fact).

Good luck and stay safe, falling off sucks.

23/11/2010 at 20:34

Mike Hailwood never did knee down and he was the best of the best of the best.

If you really really want to do it, save you money and spent your time practicing smooth controlled riding and then book up a track day, youll probably do it in your first session!!! whatever you do, dont loose your head and keep calm and relaxed as a hindu cow

01/12/2010 at 00:09

Track days are the way to go.

it's no biggy getting a knee down.  I do it on track with ease but on the road, it is followed by my elbo then arse!

01/12/2010 at 05:10

enduro44 wrote (see)

have been riding for about 7 months on a full licence, 2 years in total including provisional now.. got myself a 94 vfr 750 f and ive owned 2 400's in the past (didnt get rid of em due to crashing, i got bored ) ...

but ive always struggled to get my knee down!, sometimes on a dry day i will go to a quiet roundabout and practice.. i can get a good few inches from the ground... but i really cant seem to get any further without feeling unstable.

i dont feel i ride twisted round corners... i hang off with half a cheek and lean my upper body into it as well... but i must be going wrong somewhere... any advice on how to do it?? cheers

Either you have a very limited attention span to get bored with two bikes in the 7 months after passing your test or you didn't learn how to get the full potential from them. I don't mean top end speed either, but it is common for riders to think they need more power when they really need more skill.

on-cam wrote (see)

Mike Hailwood never did knee down and he was the best of the best of the best.

He's the fella that rode that tidgy 250cc Honda RC-166 isn't he? 

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
01/12/2010 at 16:51

John Mcguiness is another rider not prone to knee downing.

Have to agree with breaker as 400's are the bikes to get your knee down though I went through 7 bikes in 2 years after passing my test.  in those days, the LC was the kiddy to have.  The 1st bike I had thta lasted more than a year was a 250 which i got 7 years after mt 1st bike and then I bought a new GPZ9 which lasted me 12 years.  My ZX6 has been with me from new and is 10 plus I've a couple of 400's which I LOVE and have owned for over 15 years

Your say
email image
7 messages