Shiney Green IAM Badge

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shiney Green IAM Badge

Its just that.

That's all it is.

It worthwhile, but the onus is always going to be on YOU.

Go. Do it. But listen and hear with an educated mind and don't let the grinning green badgers have you.

Alléz.

Thats shiney ones covered. What about the dog eared thrown in a drawer ten years ago ones?

Ten years? Mine was '88, y'newbie! And I'm sure there'll be a real old fart along to top that!

I think anyone who believes that ownership of a badge of some sort confers "special powers" is living in a dream world.

Horse]Ten years? Mine was '88, y'newbie! wrote

real[/i] old fart along to top that!

That,ll be me then although I did let it lapse:burnout:

Horse]Ten years? Mine was '88, y'newbie! wrote

real[/i] old fart along to top that!

Yeah but Im sure they werent 23 at the time.

RiceBurner wrote

I think anyone who believes that ownership of a badge of some sort confers "special powers" is living in a dream world.

My cub scout swimming badge doesnt make me special like Mummy said it would?

RiceBurner wrote

[ATTACH]66284[/ATTACH]

RiceBurner wrote

Surely you're mistaken? My green badge obviously makes me the best rider in the world, invincible, immortal and of course willing to take anyone on... where else could I have obtained these special powers

tenbears wrote

Its just that. That's all it is. It worthwhile, but the onus is always going to be on YOU. Go. Do it. But listen and hear with an educated mind and don't let the grinning green badgers have you. Alléz.

Quoted as proof - Ten actually admititng that the IAM is worthwhile

Abel wrote

Yeah but Im sure they werent 23 at the time.

Fair cop. I was 30.Only took the test 'cos I won it in a competition

Horse wrote

'cos I won it in a competition

what was first and second prize then?

Im a member of the IAM, currently got the car badge and studying for the bike badge.... I don't believe it gives me any super powers but I do know that it has taught me how to ride better and it has a good social life along with it!

toolie wrote

what was first and second prize then?

It were in't olden days, when TVAM wasn't even a twinkle in its founders eyes . . . Basingstoke Advanced Motorists, from which the bikers split to become - surprisingly - Basingstoke Advanced Motorcyclists.:burnout:

Horse wrote

....Basingstoke Advanced Motorcyclists....

you may be familiar with a charecter named Robin Crane then?one of my very good mates, a track racer and ex-despatcher, is currently under his watchfull eye at the mo.RC is a top rider.. had the pleasure to watch him, 2-up, on an observer only rideout last winter..... impressive stuff.

Did my ACU Gold Star thingy at 22 if that counts for owt?Bronze was similar to the current CBT, Silver was preparation for the, then very new, two part test, Gold was pretty much roadcraft.Spin tells me they went bust due to problems with the parent group, pity really as the trainers I had were all fairly open minded.

toolie wrote

you may be familiar with a charecter named Robin Crane.

Oh yes, say "Hi" for me

TRX n Me = ) wrote

Did my ACU Gold Star thingy at 22 if that counts for owt?Bronze was similar to the current CBT, Silver was preparation for the, then very new, two part test, Gold was pretty much roadcraft.Spin tells me they went bust due to problems with the parent group, pity really as the trainers I had were all fairly open minded.

Would have been the Star Rider Gold, but yup, learnt more in that course than any other until the MSF.

My three year old niece's tricycle is sporting a shiny green badge. I'm going to feel awful if she falls off through overconfidence and grazes her knee.

Horse wrote

Oh yes, say "Hi" for me

yep.. done and dusted. (he remembered you, ex-workmates or something)

Horse wrote

Would have been the Star Rider Gold, but yup, learnt more in that course than any other until the MSF.

That's it, found my bit of paper the other day while chucking a load of stuff out. Thought it had some mention of ACU on it, will have another look, assuming I can find it again after putting in in a 'safe place' when i found it.....I did it as a follow on to the Silver, after going to yet another friend's funeral

toolie wrote

yep.. done and dusted. (he remembered you, ex-workmates or something)

Correct, plus he was Chief Obs. of BAM. Ta.About time they changed the logo:basingstokeadvancedmotorists.org.uk/I designed that about the time of the breakaway - it originally had a bike behind the car.

I am entitled to a green badge, but don't display one for three reasons. 1) I almost never ride 'according to the highway code' when not on observed runs, and as such am not a good advert for the IAM code in either other, more pontificating members' eyes, or eyes of potential candidates. I think the IAM is a good thing, but I don't wholeheartedly prescribe to it's mantra.b) It's green - they should do a nice silver one, or a black one. iii) It's completely irrelevant to all other road users, so why bother.

It's completely irrelevant to all other road users

That is a rather pertinant point. IMO.

Oh I don't know . . . Could be viewed in the same 'warning' way as "Old geezers wearing flat caps" can be used.

Only someone as sick as tenbears could actually like you lot licking his arse. Be careful you don't end up with a bit of brown on your noses.

I heard that Blue Peter are hoping to use them to replace their badges which have been knocked off and sold on e-bay for 85 nicker. Can't think what they words they will use for I.A.M.

Aonaran wrote

Only someone as sick as tenbears could actually like you lot licking his arse. Be careful you don't end up with a bit of brown on your noses.

Aonaran wrote

So there's no point in posting anymore? So how do I delete my registration?

www.visordown.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=54No-one can ever say we're not helpful here in SS.

Follow Visordown

Latest Bike News

Crash Media Group
Visordown is part of the CMG Full Throttle Network© : welcoming over 3 million consumers each month