Near Miss

Braking

9 messages
:8)
26/04/2011 at 13:59

With a pilion on board my GSX1300R K9 I was travelling along a straight bit of single carriageway 'A' road. Following behind a Ford Ka, which itself was right up behind an articulated lorry far too close to see anything. I'd been in a following position for at least five minutes when I saw a clear overtake past both of the vehicles. 

I moved out from behind the Ford Ka, waited to get a good look down the road and then accelerated past but when my front wheel was level with the Ford's offside rear wheel it suddenly did a cartoon-comedy 90 degree right turn out from behind the lorry with no indication and I'm guessing no mirror checking either. Right towards my bike.

Now the starnge thing is my right foot went for my back brake - and I hardly ever use the thing! I didn't go anywhere near my front brake, left the throttle open, kept calm and steered round the car as it continued to come out towards me. I couldn't make my left thumb move to hit the horn but I'm wondering if using it might have caused a panic reaction as the driver noticed a bike on her offside. I rolled on past, pulled back in front of the lorry and the Ka slotted in behind me.

Anyway, I pulled over in a lay-by and had a think about what had happened. A bit close in my view! I'm guessing that I was sitting in the Ka's blind spot when I pulled out to see past the truck and since she had no idea I was ever behind her in the first place, the die was already cast.

:8)
26/04/2011 at 14:42
Yes, all fair points. Cheers Spin Doctor.
03/05/2011 at 18:46
The Spin Doctor:
but it's one the rider can stay out of with a little planning.

I agree entirely, would you care to elaborate

With regard the foot going for rear brake...do you drive a car?

Edited: 03/05/2011 at 18:48
03/05/2011 at 20:51
The Spin Doctor:

I think I did - in the second post in the thread. What didn't I make clear?

How would you generally plan for this type (not this actual one as you obviously weren't there) of overtake using The System?
Edited: 03/05/2011 at 20:52
03/05/2011 at 23:03
The Spin Doctor:

Hmmm... why does this smell like bait?

Not at all m8? I was just expecting some theory on how a simple overtake similar the one the thread is about can be evaluated, planned and executed safely.

You mentioned use of the horn to warn instead of using it in an emergency (giving information). You mentioned planning, I thought you might give a theoretical explanation how to plan effectively, may be some tips on taking in the available information (views up the inside of the vehicles in front, across fields etc?).
You mentioned staying out of trouble, I know you didnt meant it as positioning, but I hoped you might include some tips on that in your reply?

It seemed like a missed opportunity, sorry? :-/

04/05/2011 at 12:44
SneakyMcC wrote (see)
 How would you generally plan for this type (not this actual one as you obviously weren't there) of overtake using The System?

What's this System of which you speak  -er-   type?

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Edited: 04/05/2011 at 12:46
04/05/2011 at 17:35
To be fair to IPSGA -

When I had the Fazer I did quite a lot more overtaking than I do now on the Strom. On the revvy 600 gearing made responsive acceleration and deceleration into gaps much easier.
04/05/2011 at 21:25
Strom? I read that first as Storm and thought Firestorm. I was gonna reply that a torqey V-Twin should be better for Acceleration Sense than a revvy inline4?

With regard The System, The Spin Doctor is prolly better placed to spill the beans...
http://www.wbs-online.co.uk/ekmps/shops/wholesalebooks/images/motorcycle-roadcraft-the-police-riders-handbook-70-p.jpg

05/05/2011 at 21:11
The Spin Doctor:
So you made me write all that just to post up an ad for Roadcraft?

Sorry m8!

Your say
email image
9 messages