Keeping Concentration when riding

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Keeping Concentration when riding

Hi,

It is a while since I've posted in here - been riding too much!

Yes, literally I have been riding way too much (30,000+miles/year or 130 miles/day) and am suffering from some practice makes permanent - bad habits. Have read writings from many of the "experts" but am trying to model my riding on the Roadcraft / Mike Waite philosophy

I have become exceptionally comfortable on my trusty steed. So much so I find myself not paying attention and riding on auto pilot often only becoming aware of hazards as I am negotiating them. I will also find myself traveling at a speed which I feel safe (as opposed what the govt thinks is safe).

My question is:

Are there any techniques which can help me retain a sensible level of concentration when riding long distances?

The short answer to your question is that you've answered it yourself The idea that we can maintain concentration for long periods simply isn't how our brain works, despite the idea often suggested by safety bodies that the key to safety is to 'maintain high levels of concentration'. It simply cannot be achieved over the course of a long ride. The longer answer is that so-called 'concentration' uses the most modern part of the human brain, the neo-cortex, to process information in real time. The problem is that it's easily tired - adult attention span is 20 minutes or so, which is why any good training or teaching programme uses short, sharp presentations and changes of pace to keep students alert. It's why learning to ride a motorcycle is so tiring - at first you have to do everything consciously, even the "simple" stuff like operating the clutch. But after a bit you learn a routine and you can move onto more complex tasks like changing gear because the clutch control is now mostly automated - what's happened is that the limbic system of the brain has learned that it's something you need to do regularly and takes over the task- just like doing up shoelaces as a kid! That's what you're experiencing when you say you are now "exceptionally comfortable"When you first ride on the road, every situation you find yourself in is novel and needs that exhausting, real-time processing via the neo-cortex. But quite quickly, you learn which bits of riding are relatively safe and can be dealt with on autopilot by the limbic system, and which threats to your health need real-time assessment via the neo-cortex. It's a natural part of learning to ride. The trick is to get that real-time threat assessment happening BEFORE the hazard poses a serious threat - because there's a third, very old part of the human brain ready to leap in and take over when it senses the risk of personal harm - the 'reptilian brain'. It's the seat of Keith Code's so-called 'survival reactions' which take over and make inappropriate decisions like grabbing and locking the brakes or freezing and doing nothing. Letting the 'reptilian brain' take control is the cause of many motorcycle acccidents. continued...

Fortunately, you can train your limbic system to identify the dangerous situations before they get out of control. Most riders develop a form of this when they start talking about a sixth sense or 'spidy sense' that things are about to go wrong. What's happened is that they have subconsciously identified the pre-existing conditions that COULD lead to a dangerous situation developing - maybe a car arriving at a junction that they've only seen out of the tail of their eye... they've not done enough to identify the precise hazard (see visual cues below) but it's enough to cause a sense of unease. So, tip number one, trust your instincts. Tip number two goes a bit further. Identify the high risk situations on the road - for example, junctions where cars might pull out and decreasing radius turns where it's easy to run out of road. Don't just trust your riding skills and assume you'll stay out of trouble - actually find out WHERE riders crash and WHY. And remember, they never intended to crash either - so something about those situations caught them out despite their own skills and knowledge! If we have to say to ourselves "I never expected..." then we haven't done our homeworkTip number three is to learn to spot the dangerous places early - look for warning signs, road markings, movement of other vehicles - in other words all the 'observation links' that Roadcraft talks about but make them the trigger or 'visual cue' that sets off your 'search - predict - act' conscious decision making process. It isn't difficult - it just requires that you use the 'neo-cortex' real-time brain to "program" the limbic system to react for you.If you want to know more about how the brain functions, and how you can REALLY make your brain work for you, then you need to look beyond Roadcraft and its rather 'mechanistic' approach to riding and look at the psychology of riding. For starters I'll point you at a book by a chap called Pat Hahn, called 'Ride Hard, Ride Smart'. It's an excellent read for the risk-conscious rider. I'll also suggest my own book which deals entirely with how the brain affects us both as riders and road user, called 'Mind over Motorcycle' which you can order from http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/SurvivalSkills

Great info, thanks for that. The long answer is perfect... now looking for the longer one!

From what I understand my riding is reaching a new level of automation (which may or may be reliable). So perhaps I don't need to concentrate on the things I used to have to concentrate on... as much... BUT, and that is a big BUT I still need to make sure my autopilot functions are well trained and functioning properly.

As riding gets more automated, the less I have to do and therefore my apparent speed decreases. To keep in the good books of the law (and she who must be obeyed) I should also train more on the speed limiter functions of my autopilot.

I have ordered both those books and will read as soon as they make it down to this side of the world.

Cheers

Glad you found it useful! Enjoy the reading material... as it's a bit quiet in here these days (sadly!) you might find my FB page a useful of info about safety in particular and riding in general.

discount pandora Pandora SetsPandora Sets onlinePandora Sets outletCheap Pandora Sets.It really is just the chain functions, traffic releases customers, and also customers deliver sales.As a result, thanks with the power from deduction, without customers there wouldn't normally be product sales.When you've gotten traffic coming to your website, for bodily differences that visits your blog post that means one additional potential customer to suit your needs.The more visitors you discover the more power you must turn these kinds of into completely satisfied customers.Nobody manufactures an e-commerce website without worrying about the intentions involving selling the produce and also earning a lot of profit concurrently.You shell out money in to the website; as a result, you has to earn this cash back through income

cheap swarovskiFashion Accessoriesswarovski charmsswarovski cross necklacesswarovski cross pendants.To set in place yourself out of your crowd, complete any purchase from gothic clothes that fits your style, and knowing no a else has in your own crowd.One can find gothic clothing in many forms, because of tops, towards tanks, towards belts, buckles, perhaps even boots.Gothic patterns in nylons as well as in hosiery can be described as trend that is expanding beyond the concert and party.Having gothic clothing is becoming a trend that could be finding it's way inside people's lives that wants to spread the style to indicate to off precisely what they absolutely love, and to earn a statement.Gothic clothing much like nylons and additionally hosiery is going to include those which are bold stripes, dazzling colors, and designed to include having animal images

Replica Rolex Wacthesfake Rolex Wacthescheap Replica Rolex WacthesReplica Rolex Wacthes onlineReplica Rolex Wacthes sale.Let's admit the possibility that there also are other significant facts to consider in reaching the required look to help stand right out of the crowd.This satisfaction are generally attained by means of wearing various additional unique pieces intended to complement ones own outfit and they're fashion gear.Fashion accents are what are mostly utilized by women not to mention men to increase some characteristic and style to the outfit.They're worn out to complement their garmets and create such latest and unusual look that should surely get other's attention.In these modern times, they are getting so widely used and popular because these are not only for considered as required for fashion as well as part from basic essential.Especially for women, it's certain that you will see them having on accessories wherever they're going because these consider them for their everyday lifestyle

air max fitsoleNike Air Max FitsoleCheap Air Max Fitsole for Saleair max fitsole cheapair max fitsole discount.What the heck is good concerning cheap Vegas travel is that this gives you the options with traveling such as regular Vegas travel.You may choose that schedule to your trip, your selected itineraries, and price within your ticket.You can get travel insurance with cheap Nevada travel.Now there's no need to worry with regards to the unforeseen charges while experiencing the lights and sounds for the city.Travel low priced to Nevada.Not only you will realise the extravagance for the city but you can also experience the important Vegas- larger than life.Cheap visit Las Nevada - its' quick, it's rapidly, and it is actually cheap.

Louis Vuitton HandbagsDiscount Louis Vuitton HandbagsCheap LV Handbags on SaleDesigner Handbags Wholesalelouis vuitton handbags antheia.The ancient saying, "if an individual cant master em, become a member of em" is geared perfectly.When you cant command extra for mastercard sales, you may charge less pertaining to cash provided that all prices are clearly stated to help you customers, as well as the cash price tag is reflected as the discount from original out the door cost.For occasion:if the price tag on goods states of the fact that item costs $10, the bucks price ought to be represented in the form of discount from that price.The rate for this specific item must look something such as this:Value10.005% lower price for revenue payment @ $9.505% Lower price for Determine Payment @ $9.50With the use of a tiered discounts grid, merchants may well alleviate the expense of accepting credit card, while nevertheless providing their customers with all the freedom to decide their preferred method to payment

buy swarovskiFashion Accessoriesswarovski charmsswarovski cross necklacesswarovski cross pendants.I got a couple of samples via Lynn together with gave these to women mates.As an individual guy who might be actively dating sites, I'm always enthusiastic about learning new ways of impress women and never having to sell a car along with mortgage my house.Beautiful is without a doubt good any moment.Expensive is made for special functions.My close friends started bothering me -- in an effective way."Can you obtain me some other for our mother? " "I need the one that says Friendship I could give towards my best ally." "Can WHEN I get the fact that rose quartz piece with all the Love drive to wear being a pendant? "I decided I was to something superior.Really decent.Guys, listen up:forget within the pearls together with expensive fine jewelry

Replica ORIS WATCHESfake ORIS WATCHEScheap ORIS WATCHEScopy ORIS WATCHESORIS WATCHES sale.Many men of all ages have owned a variety of cheaper devices throughout its lifetime, but until you find a higher end watch you can be merely toting a watch out with necessity.Timex is not necessarily a healthy end view nor might be Casio or every other watch by having a plastic or simply cheap shiny steel band.These are generally for all the time wear and competitive sports.That is fine since they are intended with the.If you happen to be ready for a nice watch which will last and turn a family members heirloom at some point then there are several names you may want to consider.Some keep an eye on names to look for are LABEL Heuer and also Rolex.Both are made of superb superior quality and style.Either devices brand is top notch and bound to become a treasured relatives heirloom

<span style="color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; text-align: left;">Some keep an eye on names to look for are LABEL Heuer and also Rolex.Both are made of superb superior quality and style.Either devices brand is top notch and bound to become a treasured relatives heirloom<span style="border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; vertical-align: baseline; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; text-align: left; border-width: 0px; padding: 0px; margin: 0px;">

Follow Visordown

Latest Bike News

Crash Media Group
Visordown is part of the CMG Full Throttle Network© : welcoming over 3 million consumers each month