Keeping Concentration when riding

2 messages
01/03/2012 at 00:36

Hi,

It is a while since I've posted in here - been riding too much!

Yes, literally I have been riding way too much (30,000+miles/year or 130 miles/day) and am suffering from some practice makes permanent - bad habits. Have read writings from many of the "experts" but am trying to model my riding on the Roadcraft / Mike Waite philosophy

I have become exceptionally comfortable on my trusty steed. So much so I find myself not paying attention and riding on auto pilot often only becoming aware of hazards as I am negotiating them. I will also find myself traveling at a speed which I feel safe (as opposed what the govt thinks is safe).

My question is:

Are there any techniques which can help me retain a sensible level of concentration when riding long distances?

James
Wellington New Zealand
06 Transalp
03/03/2012 at 13:46
Great info, thanks for that. The long answer is perfect... now looking for the longer one!

From what I understand my riding is reaching a new level of automation (which may or may be reliable). So perhaps I don't need to concentrate on the things I used to have to concentrate on... as much... BUT, and that is a big BUT I still need to make sure my autopilot functions are well trained and functioning properly.

As riding gets more automated, the less I have to do and therefore my apparent speed decreases. To keep in the good books of the law (and she who must be obeyed) I should also train more on the speed limiter functions of my autopilot.

I have ordered both those books and will read as soon as they make it down to this side of the world.

Cheers

James
Wellington New Zealand
06 Transalp
Your say
email image
2 messages