How do you jump off?

9 messages
NT
27/04/2011 at 15:52
Hi,
Have been wondering if you get into a situation like that video of the Russian bloke falling under a truck, ie for whatever reason something has pulled out and you know you are going to hit it.
In that vid I think he's better off having slid along rather than gone head first into the truck. But how do you come off at speed such that you don't get your legs ravelled up with the bike?
Having only ever fallen off a pushbike at speed it's obv a bit different.
- If you squeeze the front brake as hard as possible at speed, am I right in thinking you will ALWAYS either stop normally or else lock up and then the wheel will give way? It isn't possible to go over the handle bars?

- Once you come off like this (ie not a high side) will the bike always go in front of you? So you can't get yourself caught up with the bike - just make sure you pull your leg out of the way before the bike hits the ground.

- Could you instead just jump upwards? Like, push off both of the footpegs and let go of the bars?

I would kinda like to get super armoured up at a track somewhere, and practice this kind of thing...

cheers
Nigel
28/04/2011 at 11:45

Id say in the split second you realised your going to hit it what can i do - you've hit it.

better to push your obs out further and read the conditions adjusting course and speed accordingly.

jumping off and doing a superman should be left to films and choreographed stunts.

02/05/2011 at 16:02
Going over the handlebars? Technically possible I suppose but realistically doing a 'stoppie' is a balancing skill. I'd reckon the bike is more likely to go down if you overdo it. Unless you have ABS of course.

Horse's article is a good one. I'd suggest you'd be better served by attempting a fairly dramatic (counter)steer / swerve instead though. As everyone has said though, at the end of the day all this stuff assumes you've already effed it up so choices are limited - roll the dice and pray
02/05/2011 at 21:49
Admag wrote (see)

Id say in the split second you realised your going to hit it what can i do - you've hit it.

If you've never had a truly scary moment, you'd be surprised at what you can do in a very short space of time, particularly if you've practised various manoeuvres. 

I agree with Wasabi on this. I'd prefer to go for a swerve where I could possible hit something rather than going straight on to where I'd probably hit something, but I wouldn't rule out acrobatics as a last resort. 

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
04/05/2011 at 12:38
The Spin Doctor wrote (see)

Research shows that if you hit a car still seated, you're thrown forwards and just enough upwards that your thighs usually hit the bar, then your body rotates and you hit your head/upper torso along the edge of the roof/top of the doors which is one of the stiffest parts of the car body (because they're designed to stop the roof collapsing in on the occupants if the car rolls).

Which is another reason for swerving towards the rear if you can rather than going straight into the side. If the car has a boot at the back and you can't get avoid a collision, you've a bit of a chance of sliding over the lower part instead of smacking it. The down side is that you could to fall off the other side onto your head. 

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
16/06/2011 at 13:33

Hi Again

Just decided to have a nostalgic trip down Forum Lane, and find I'm still the centre of attention

On the junction where I jumped (actually more of a quick stand up) I was able to subsequently check my speed on the loaner VFR800 I had.

When there was no other traffic I'd glance at the digital speedo (it was on a regular route, so plenty of opportunities), and typically it was between 12-15mph.  Ok, stopping might have been possible from that speed - but my final memory before the world went dark was the simultaneous Bang! as I stood up.  With hindsight, probably why I landed twisted (and bitter).

Bearing in mind it was a mini-roundabout, I was already on it when the car started to move, so not much space or distance!

Bye! 

Training info is (C) Malcolm Palmer. He asserts his right to be identified as author under the Copyright Design Patents Act 1988 & may be quoted only as part of a post in the Visordown bb by another board member. Author should be contacted for written permission before any other use, storage, transmission or recording, by any means.

Read my mutterings:

http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com/

21/06/2011 at 19:10
Welcome back Hoss.

Do you think being on a loan bike contributed much to the crash happening in the first place, and the choice of jump over braking?

29/07/2011 at 17:02

Forget it.

When people say "I laid the bike down" they're firmly talking out of their arse.

What they mean to say is "I grabbed the front brake until I locked the front and then ended up on my arse"

If you have time to 'choose to lay it down' you have time to slow down more on the bike.

19/08/2012 at 12:40

If you've never had a truly scary moment, you'd be surprised at what you can do in a very short space of time, particularly if you've practised various manoeuvres.

CNA Training

Edited: 19/08/2012 at 12:41
Your say
email image
9 messages