hill crest

8 messages
18/11/2010 at 19:08

Hello Everyone, just wondered what people thought was the correct position when approaching a hill crest that you cannot see over Some IAM people i know think you should be in the middle of your side of the road but i have read that you should be right over to the left in case somebody is overtaking coming towards you. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Would you fail the iam test and dsa test if you were in the wrong position

Many Thanks

Stuart

18/11/2010 at 20:35
I wouldn't know about tests, but I'd be in the middle of my lane ready to swerve to the left if someone appeared in front of me.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
19/11/2010 at 08:35
pingpongman wrote (see)

i have read that you should be right over to the left in case somebody is overtaking coming towards you. Any thoughts would be welcome.

What if there is a car parked at the side of the road just over the crest?
19/11/2010 at 12:30
FJSRiDER. wrote (see)
pingpongman wrote (see)

i have read that you should be right over to the left in case somebody is overtaking coming towards you. Any thoughts would be welcome.

What if there is a car parked at the side of the road just over the crest?

If it were me, I'd be in the middle of my lane ready to swerve to the right if someone appeared in front of me.

19/11/2010 at 12:32

A blind crest is only really a vertical blind bend.

19/11/2010 at 13:08

Blind crests also tend to pinch width-wise (typically old bridges) which doesn't help. The v-strom is handy as you can very easily stand on the pegs to get a better view, though I wouldn't especially recommend that as a standard way of dealing with crests.

23/11/2010 at 16:52
moving weight to back of seat and dropping down a gear

Have a mint. They're free
23/11/2010 at 20:23
I think lane position should be central as the road ahead is a bit of an unknown but the most important thing is that you slow down for it to a speed you have a chance of stopping in time for anything that might jump out at you.
Your say
email image
8 messages