Changing chains and tyres - now or later?

4 messages
26/03/2011 at 17:15
What do other people do - change and tyres before they give out completely, or will till illegal / broken?

MOT is due in a month or so. Suspect I can can get it through the MOT with current chain and tyres (probably on advisory...) , but they're both getting on a bit.

Tyres are semi offroad type so have HUGE tread depth, but rear is squared off a fair bit due to predominantly boring A road use. Doesn't bother me to be honest, I just ride round it. Not sure how MOT guy will see it - can they fail tyres for squareness?

Chain has done at least 8k miles (during my 10 months of ownership) - no idea of history before that. Previously waited till chain snapped till I bothered to replace. Nowadays with higher percentage faster A road riding I'm considering splashing out 'early' on a new chain. Never had a high speed chain snap so not sure quite how bad it is?

27/03/2011 at 14:43

If you can afford it do it now. A broken chain can cause huge damage (or can just lie itself neatly on the road - but better not to risk it). Plus it'll be much nicer riding with a decent tyre.

Ian.

2004 Triumph Tiger 955i
1955 Velocette Viper
27/03/2011 at 16:55
Change the chain.
Square tyres aren't much fun either so I'd be inclined to change the lot.

www.ovalmotorcyclecentre.co.uk
Edited: 27/03/2011 at 16:56
28/03/2011 at 10:36
Bike has a scottoiler I inherited with the bike. I've only had to adjust the chain once just after I bought it as it was a bit tight for my tastes. Not touched it since. I'm no expert on chains and although it isn't super flexible it doesn't, to me, feel bad at any one point.

Your say
email image
4 messages