Changes to the Mod 1 test from May 16 2011

8 messages
30/03/2011 at 23:02
Is that the result of this big review they were on about, or just some interim tinkering?
Edited: 30/03/2011 at 23:02
31/03/2011 at 11:20

I just wish they would let us get on with teaching people to ride on the roads and not just in car parks with bloody cones everywhere!

I reckon the average mileage travelled by a trainee pre test must have plummeted by more than half since Mod 1 and 2 was introduced 

02/04/2011 at 18:26

we still do about the same milage for mod 2 there is not so much time spent waiting by the side of the road for cars to pass before doing e stops or uturns

..................................................................................................................

the following is an email I sent

I have always thought that the MOD 1 test was a good idea and have never had any issues with it ( and to be honest was quite worried about my students doing some of the manouvers on a public highway,as seems to be asked for by a certain "newspaper")
The changes that are being made seem to be well thought out, and will help students , the only one comment i have is the speed issue -5% , now that the anouncement has been made is there a reason that it cannot be implimented now , as i feel that the adverse comments that would, understandably, be made about the DSA , imagine a candidate failing on the last test of 15th may for only doing 49kph but the  first candidate on the 16th does the same and passes.
I know that if i was taking a test this month i would put it off till after the changes  have taken place

and the reply was

Thanks for your email and your positive comments.

Whilst the changes to the module 1 test are not wide ranging we need time to ensure all our examiners have been trained and that trainers and candidates alike are notified of those changes.

Bringing the flexibility into the assessment of the speed requirement on its own would result in two sets of changes to the test in quick succession. This is something we are keen to avoid and have therefore chosen to introduce all the changes on the 16th May.

The issue of candidates taking a test immediately before and after changes are changed introduced arises whenever a test is altered; each test is conducted and assessed in line with the rules and procedures that apply at the time of the test.

Edited: 02/04/2011 at 18:27
03/04/2011 at 19:18
to a certain extent yes ,but is it not better to teach always make" effective observations  before moving off" when learning as there is less chance of forgetting when  on the road , then the not needed ones can be thought about  when that riders skill level has gone up or on any advanced courses
Edited: 03/04/2011 at 19:19
08/04/2011 at 13:24
Hi, I am just about to sit my full teat, MOD 1 and 2. I can see from a trainee point of view where you are both coming from. The test does encourage a side of "just do it cause I have to" but it also means that when I am out on the road I will never forget. Going from a 125 up to a 500 or a 600 is a BIG DEAL to some people, already having a shot of a CBR600F; I was excited but also thinking "how the hell will I control this!" I think you both have to understand that a test is there to not only confirm that you can actually carry out a procedure correctly but to reaffirm to the person sitting the test that they can do it right themselves. Without that confidence we would end up with under skilled riders on our roads, leading to more accidents and an even worse name for bikers everywhere. To Siwel thank you of informing of the changes, always good to know and to Spin Doctor: prevention is better than cure - it may not be necessary to take every precaution but think of the end result if we never?

“The trouble with living life in the fast lane is you get all the fun and see none of the sights!”

08/04/2011 at 13:45
'it may not be necessary to take every precaution but think of the end result if we never?'

I don't think the point is you NEVER take the precautions. The point is that you should know WHY you are taking the precautions. Way back when I did my DAS practice, we were doing U turns on a road and the other bloke did the usual turning-head-but-not-looking thing. Proceeded to start turn in front of a car coming up behind him - or would have if instructor wasn't yelling like crazy and me blasting horn from my bike. The point is not to turn your head. The point is that you are checking to see if you are going to get splatted. If you understand that bit then later on you can give up on a lot of the looking around if you use your mirrors instead to fill in the gaps.

14/05/2011 at 22:23
wasabi wrote (see)
'it may not be necessary to take every precaution but think of the end result if we never?' I don't think the point is you NEVER take the precautions. The point is that you should know WHY you are taking the precautions. Way back when I did my DAS practice, we were doing U turns on a road and the other bloke did the usual turning-head-but-not-looking thing. Proceeded to start turn in front of a car coming up behind him - or would have if instructor wasn't yelling like crazy and me blasting horn from my bike. The point is not to turn your head. The point is that you are checking to see if you are going to get splatted. If you understand that bit then later on you can give up on a lot of the looking around if you use your mirrors instead to fill in the gaps.

to just add to that point i once had a student who started to turn right with no mirror check or lifesaver at a set of lights when an oncoming vehicle flashed his headlights how he had not heard the police car overtaking all the traffic behind us i dont know ( thank you autocom for a good voice activated microphone and reliable radios)
16/05/2011 at 16:50
Your say
email image
8 messages