A Touch of Frost

Free article from 'The MAG Columns'

2 messages
09/12/2011 at 10:51
The issue I have is that every year the same roundabout freezes over with a layer of black ice. It is a 50mph road, big roundabout but moderate traffic.

In other words, I am on an ice rink, I need to turn because it is a roundabout but cant because I will drop it. Cars are oblivious to the ice so plough through and end up in the middle of the roundabout meaning if I tried to straight line it I would get hit, go too slow I would get hit, go too fast I will crash, try and turn I will crash. Seems to be a lose lose situation, they rarely salt the road either so it freezes up regularly.

About the only solution that springs to mind is not to ride the bike, but I feel that is rather defeatist.

About this time last year I ended up on my arse on this roundabout, see pic (note car in the middle). Damage was mild as I had slowed down because of the visible frost(broken mirror, scuffs etc). The centre of the roundabout was a layer of ice, where the bike is in the photo is also ice actually (for those interested in what black ice can look like).

Any suggestions?

If the Earth is the size of a pea in Britain, then the Sun is a beachball 50m away, Pluto is 4km away, and the next nearest star is in Tokyo. Now shrink Pluto's orbit into a coffee cup, then our Milky Way Galaxy fills North America

Edited: 09/12/2011 at 10:53
09/12/2011 at 14:06
Cheers for your thoughts. Using sports touring tyres, haven't got the cash for another bike, when the weather is particularly bad I do have a car but it isn't ideal (traffic, parking etc etc).

At the moment I am leaving later than I would in the summer, both so it isn't as dark and so traffic has had a chance to melt the worst of it. Avoiding it is possible but a royal PITA, when it snowed last year I did go the other way, when it gets colder I will do the same but no matter which way I go there are parts with the occasional ice patches.

Did moan at the council last year after I ditched and it helped for a while. I also found a website that predicts road temperature (and by extension ice etc) which is not of course mutually exclusive to good obs but I have found it pretty accurate.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/forecastmaps?LANG=en&UP=0&R=0&MORE=1&MAPS=road&CONT=ukuk&ZEIT=201112091238&LAND=___®ION=____&DAY=0

Cheers for your thoughts, thought maybe I was missing something that might help. Aside from getting a different style bike I think I am stuck.

If the Earth is the size of a pea in Britain, then the Sun is a beachball 50m away, Pluto is 4km away, and the next nearest star is in Tokyo. Now shrink Pluto's orbit into a coffee cup, then our Milky Way Galaxy fills North America

Edited: 09/12/2011 at 14:07
Your say
email image
2 messages